Genetics Community
hemochromotosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

hemochromotosis

My doctor told me that my iron is high.  The range is 50-175 and mine was 205.  I jsut want to know at what point does it become dangerous.  Also, could this be because of hemochromotosis?  I hardly ever eat meat and when i do i eat very small portions.   .
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Are there other blood tests done such as liver enzymes tests? An elevated ferritin level alone is not sufficient to accurately diagnose hemochromatosis that is why serum iron, TIBC, and transferrin saturation are often performed together. A repeat test may be done to confirm this. Healthy people usually absorb about 10 percent of the iron contained in the food they eat,  while people with hemochromatosis absorb up to 30 percent of iron. Because the body has no natural way to rid itself of the excess iron, it is stored in body tissues, specifically the liver, heart, and pancreas. Take care and regards.
Avatar dr f tn
Avatar dr f tn