hemochromotosis
My doctor told me that my iron is high.  The range is 50-175 and mine was 205.  I jsut want to know at what point does it become dangerous.  Also, could this be because of hemochromotosis?  I hardly ever eat meat and when i do i eat very small portions.   .
How are you? Are there other blood tests done such as liver enzymes tests? An elevated ferritin level alone is not sufficient to accurately diagnose hemochromatosis that is why serum iron, TIBC, and transferrin saturation are often performed together. A repeat test may be done to confirm this. Healthy people usually absorb about 10 percent of the iron contained in the food they eat,  while people with hemochromatosis absorb up to 30 percent of iron. Because the body has no natural way to rid itself of the excess iron, it is stored in body tissues, specifically the liver, heart, and pancreas. Take care and regards.