Genetics Community
rh factor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

rh factor

hello i was just wondering about some info about the rh factor in your blood. i am18 yrs old and 27 weeks pregnant and my doctor said i had a rh negative factor and only 15% of the pop. has it.  So what happens? Can you please give me information because im really nervous. Is it serious?? Whats gonna happen to my baby?? My dr. is kinda hard to understand so im just trying 2 get more info.
thank you so much Dr. E!
I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you being rh negative while you are pregnant is nothing to be nervous about as long as your doctor knows and takes the appropriate measures.  You will most likely need a shot of something called Rhogam in this pregnancy and in your future pregnancies.  If the father of your baby is also rh negative factor, you do not need to have this Rhogam shot, but if the blood rh factor of your partner is positive or unknown, being rh negative just means you will need to get the shots to make sure the rh negative in your blood doesn't harm the baby.

Best of luck to you and your new family-to-be!
~eureka