Gout Community
90 yr. old mom with Gout

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

90 yr. old mom with Gout

Hi, my mom has gout, she has been having a long term 3 yrs. deal with her teeth, dentures, 4 implants, new dentures, fitting dentures and it has not been resolved sufficiently yet and this is taking a toll on her diet.  I would say she has lost 25 lbs in 3 or 4 months... I think this is part of the cause of her gout.
now, she cannot walk so she is in bed a lot.  
We have changed her diet, but she is not that great at eating a lot.  
she knows she should drink water, but I'm not sure how much she is drinking.
she eats cherries, rice, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, eggs, broccoli, summer squash, potatoes, corn flakes, soymilk,
any other ideas,
she just went to get a blood test to confirm, but it sure looks like it, now that the doctor suggested it.
yikes,, this is awful
Hi there!

The role of diet in gout management is largely at avoiding food items that could increase the urate levels such as meat, seafood, alcohol etc. Medication that reduce the formation of urate and increase its excretion from the body are usually advised. Adequate vitamin C intake is also beneficial.  Anti-inflammatory medications are reserved for acute episodes.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!