Gout Community
Allergic to Acetaminophen

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Allergic to Acetaminophen

I am allergic to any combination of acetaminophen from three years old so I take ibuprofen.   I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis and sjogren's sydrome. My doctor gave me mobic (meloxicam) to relieve my pain, and I have had no side effects from mobic, and it actually gave me more relief. Is it possible that I am allergic to acetaminophen but have no side effect from mobic? My doctor told me that it is usually impossible so I am confusing.
Hi there!

Reactions to acetaminophen are quite uncommon unless used in high doses and usually those with acetaminophen side effects have intolerance to NSAIDS as well. However since you are able to tolerate ibuprofen well, there is a possibility that you could tolerate Mobic as well. Though the situation is rare, it is not impossible.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!