Flu like symptoms after 50mg of allopurinal?
Hi All,

GP Has prescribed allopurinal 100mg tablets for me, and recommended that I start on a small dose and build up

Anyways, I took half a tablet in the morning after food. I found that later in the day I felt slightly feverish and had general all over muscle ache much like the flu was coming on, no bad pains just slight ache. I was also quiet tired/sleepy all day, though the night before was a little late.

I did mention this to the GP when I was back in later that day, but we agreed that it could quiet possibly be the flu given the time of year here.

I decided to give it a miss for the weekend to see if what ever it was passed, and I had planned on taking it again this week but after a quick read I am not so sure.

If the flu-ish symptoms were caused by allopurinal, are they dangerous? Or just a expected side effect?

I'm not allergic to anything that i know of, should I be going back to the GP before taking more or should I just bust another 50mg and see what happens?

I am very reactive to medications and started taking allopurunal at a low dose for gout. On the 12th day, I began running a fever of 103.8 with chills --pretty much no other symptoms. I went to the hospital in the middle of the night due to the high fever and after tons of tests, they decided it was a reaction to the allopurunal. Apparently, it is a reaction that can happen. It stopped 2 days after I got the allopurunal out of my system.
I take 100mg with no side effects at all.  However there is a very small percentage that do.