Gout Community
Flu like symptoms after 50mg of allopurinal?

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Hi All,

GP Has prescribed allopurinal 100mg tablets for me, and recommended that I start on a small dose and build up

Anyways, I took half a tablet in the morning after food. I found that later in the day I felt slightly feverish and had general all over muscle ache much like the flu was coming on, no bad pains just slight ache. I was also quiet tired/sleepy all day, though the night before was a little late.

I did mention this to the GP when I was back in later that day, but we agreed that it could quiet possibly be the flu given the time of year here.

I decided to give it a miss for the weekend to see if what ever it was passed, and I had planned on taking it again this week but after a quick read I am not so sure.

If the flu-ish symptoms were caused by allopurinal, are they dangerous? Or just a expected side effect?

I'm not allergic to anything that i know of, should I be going back to the GP before taking more or should I just bust another 50mg and see what happens?

Tags: allopurunal, flu symtoms

I am very reactive to medications and started taking allopurunal at a low dose for gout. On the 12th day, I began running a fever of 103.8 with chills --pretty much no other symptoms. I went to the hospital in the middle of the night due to the high fever and after tons of tests, they decided it was a reaction to the allopurunal. Apparently, it is a reaction that can happen. It stopped 2 days after I got the allopurunal out of my system.
I take 100mg with no side effects at all.  However there is a very small percentage that do.