Gout Community
Gout and metoprolol
About This Community:

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Gout and metoprolol

I am a 46 year old male. I have had gout for around 5 years which I was successfully managing with black cherry capsules (2 x 500mg per day). My gout attacks were occurring about twice a year until recently. I was diagnosed with hypertension, and prescribed metoprolol succinate 100mg, once a day, which has successfully brought my blood pressure under control.  However in 3 months I have had 3 gout attacks.  Can the metoprolol cause the increased frequency?  Thanks for your help!
1711789_tn?1361311607

Hi there!

Yes, exacerbation of gout episodes and elevated uric acid level is a rare side effect of the medication. Since the side effect is associated with significant morbidity in your case, a change of medication may be considered if feasible. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gout Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949