Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Gout

Last Dec. I had a UT infection and was dehydrated and bad case of gas all at once.  I went to the ER and was tested and given medication.  The next day I woke up with gout.  When I went to my PC doctor she said the gout might have been triggered by the medicine they have me (which I ended up being allergic to) and she changed my medicine.  Did not have another flare up until I had another UT infection and trauma to my bunion and foot while I was in a cast.

Now I was told gout is caused by too much u. acid in system - but mine only occurs when there is trauma going on somewhere in my body.  Could this really be the cause?  I have the list of foods that you are supposed to stay away from so I rarely, if ever eat them.  That's why I'm wondering if something else triggers the gout.  Any comment?
Hi there!

Yes, Gout is caused by a primary hyperuricemia which can be triggered by a number of factors like stress (infections/ trauma), diet, medications/ drugs, diabetes, hypertension, renal disease, blood disorders etc.
Hope this information helps.

Tale care!