Gout Community
How can I Have Gout? Or is it Arthritis?

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

I have been treated for flare ups of Gout (or what my family doctor thought was gout) for approx 4 years now.  I was told that as long as the flare ups did not occur often I should just watch my diet and take some mild anti-inflammatory medication whenever I felt a flare up coming on.  This past year my flare ups have been more frequent and have been lasting longer as well as affecting both my feet instead of just the one.  My doctor finally put me on allopurinol to control the Uric Acid but I still continue to experience the pain and swelling quite often. How can I still have flare ups of gout with normal to even low uric acid levels?!!!!  My doctor is an idiot because now he says I may have Arthritis or even Rheumatoid arthritis instead of gout!!!  I now have to wait 7 months, YES 7 MONTHS, to see a rheumatologist!  I have suffered for 4 years and the last 6 months have been brutal at times because of a possible mis-diagnosis.

My question to anyone who can offer some insight is...Can I still have Gout despite normal Uric Acid levels?  I would really appreciate and be very thankful to anyone who can help me in this matter.
Tags: Help please! Worried
Are these flare ups primarily in the Great toes or elbow? Does it feel like your walking on razor blades?
Without these, and if uric acid levels are normal, I doubt it's Gout.
Rheumatoid arthritis is easy to diagnose with simple blood tests and x-rays.
Either way, watch your calcium and protein intake. Aleve is a good choice for either.
My flare ups are primarily in my ankles and the top of my right foot.  When the pain hits it's excruciating, at other times I feel burning, tingling and pins and needles in my feet.  Occasionally the pain shoots up my shin, also from my right foot.  Every morning my joints in that area are really tight and need some walking before they start to limber up. No other parts of my body are affected.

Thank you for responding, I'm really frightened it may be RA, I need to work and it is becoming really difficult to do so steadily.
It doesn't sound like Gout or RA.
Do you get red swollen knuckles?
Thats good to hear...No swollen knuckles...I am perplexed... what can this be?