Is gout genetic?
I've been experiencing a lot of pain in my left foot over the past few weeks. While I think this is probably related to overuse and bad shoes, I'm concerned about other possibilities. My father has gout and it gets really bad sometimes. Is gout heritable? Could my pain be caused by gout instead of a stress injury?
Hi there!

Gout maybe genetically associated, though without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Other possibilities that may need to be considered are injuries to tendons/ ligaments, fractures, growths/ masses/ spurs, infections, inflammations, degenerations, nerve compression/ impingement etc. I would suggest consulting a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
This is my second attack in few weeks and I believe I have narrowed it down to consumption of boiled shrimp.  Not an alcohol drinker or red meat eater.  My father suffered w gout yrs ago wondering if inherited?
I do think gout could be genetically link as my dad has it too. But most importantly I do not take beef, not much duck and do not drink alcohol. Yet my uric acid level is very high. And though my gout attack is only recent for the past four years and happens once a year, my various joints in my feet has already accumulated much crystals that the swelling has hardened and is permanent.

Now the best way is to drink at least 3.6L of water daily for long term to purge out and also reduce my weight. Have to do it else sooner or later my kidneys will fail and dialysis will be the outcome!!!