Gout Community
Is it gout?
About This Community:

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is it gout?

I'm a 49 yr old post menopausal woman, 5.5" tall and weigh 80kg. Last evening,inner side of my left ankle developed severe pain.On examination, I found that it was swollen and red.I covered it by crepe bandage, but by morning the pain and stiffness had aggravated.I had my blood uric acid level checked on empty stomach and it was 5.7mg. I'm a vegetarian.What could it be? Pls guide...
Tags: inflamed ankle joint
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, neither the clinical presentation not the uric acid levels are typical of gout; and one may consider looking at other possibilities such as infections, inflammations, injuries, degeneration etc, as potential causes. It would be best to have this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management,
Hope this helps.

Take care!