Post Gout Immobility
I have had a history of gout in the great toes of both feet for a number of years now. Most of the time it just manifests itself in one foot or the other, seldom both at once. Overall, I have been experiencing about 2 gout episodes per year, several months apart. Naturally, the acute flare up is the most problematic aspect of this affliction, but I am also concerned about how long it takes to see a return to normal of joint mobility after the primary inflammation has subsided. I often have pin-point tenderness at the base of the toe for 2 or 3 weeks afterward, which impedes my ability to push off on the front part of my foot comfortably. I would like to restart my walking exercise, but if I don't watch out, I will re-stress the toe joint and get a new inflammatory response.  Does anyone have any idea as to how I could hasten the healing process in the joint, following an acute attack? Any ideas on proper footwear to improve comfort and functionality?
Hi there!

Well, this is a difficult question to answer. While the inflammation can take a few days/ weeks to subside, return to activities may be possible in a few weeks; however the tophi may take longer time to dissolve which could hamper mobility as well. If there are any specific symptoms, you may seek a review with your treating doctor for suggestion of an appropriate management plan and discuss the expected prognosis in detail as well.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!