Gout Community
Post Gout Immobility

Gout is a common and painful form of arthritis that causes swollen, red, hot and stiff joints when uric acid builds up in the blood. Discuss topics including symptoms and medical or alternative treatments for gout.

Post Gout Immobility

I have had a history of gout in the great toes of both feet for a number of years now. Most of the time it just manifests itself in one foot or the other, seldom both at once. Overall, I have been experiencing about 2 gout episodes per year, several months apart. Naturally, the acute flare up is the most problematic aspect of this affliction, but I am also concerned about how long it takes to see a return to normal of joint mobility after the primary inflammation has subsided. I often have pin-point tenderness at the base of the toe for 2 or 3 weeks afterward, which impedes my ability to push off on the front part of my foot comfortably. I would like to restart my walking exercise, but if I don't watch out, I will re-stress the toe joint and get a new inflammatory response.  Does anyone have any idea as to how I could hasten the healing process in the joint, following an acute attack? Any ideas on proper footwear to improve comfort and functionality?
Hi there!

Well, this is a difficult question to answer. While the inflammation can take a few days/ weeks to subside, return to activities may be possible in a few weeks; however the tophi may take longer time to dissolve which could hamper mobility as well. If there are any specific symptoms, you may seek a review with your treating doctor for suggestion of an appropriate management plan and discuss the expected prognosis in detail as well.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!