Grief & Loss Community
Dads on life support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

Dads on life support

My Dad just had a bad accident last Friday...He was working on a roof and fell about 15 ft on his back and fractured his neck which almost severed his spinal cord...The ambulance got to him 15 min later and revived him but he had gone without oxygen and had a cardiac arrest from the impact...Anyways hes been unconscious since the incident and Im worried that he might not make it...I have a lot of support from family and friends but its not enough I want to see him again...Everybody in my church including myself is praying for him but I cant stop thinking about what life would be like without him... (whats my mom and two younger brothers gonna do?) I feel so hopeless like life is just stripping me of everything Ive ever loved...Im trying to be optimistic about all of this and I know God can work miracles but what am I gonna do???(Sorry Im venting)...The last couple of months me and my Dad started getting close again and then this happens, plus weve been through a lot with my past drug habits(8 months clean off OCs)...Sometimes I feel like I could have prevented this whole thing from happening like Im to blame for being such a terrible son...I know we all have to go through this but why so soon?  I want him to see his future grandkids and be apart of their lives and also see me become the man Im supposed to be idk(sooo frustrated right now)...Im praying that he will make it in Jesus name
I'm so very sorry you father has such a traumatic accident and at this point all you and your family and friends can do is hope and pray that he will pull thru this ordeal. Also, be realistic if God calls him home. If he is in a coma, talk to him, tell him you are there and that you love him. This will help you also, if God calls him home.

My mother died in my arms July 19th. She has congestive heart failure and diabities and had a massive heart attack. When I went to the CICU, I saw this little person called my mom with tubes in her mouth, nose, surrounded by monitors, machines and the room was freezing cold. I held her, look up into the sky (window) and asked God out loud, to please not let my mother suffer anymore, to take her home, but if He did, let it be in my arms. I told Him that I was with her at birth and took care of her all my life, to please take her, but with me holding her. I wispered, "Mom, it's ok to go, go to the light, find grandma and grandpa (her mom died when she was only 9 yrs old) and I promised her that I would take good care of dad (84 yrs.), the same way I took care of her." and with those words she died surrounded by her entire family.

It's been a life changing event, but I promise you that God will give you and your family the strenght to get thru. You are an extension of your father and he would not want you suffering or blaming yourself for what has happened. It was an accident and this could have happened to anyone. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers and this is a wonderful website for comfort during the most darkest days in a persons life. Also, keep us informed on your fathers progress.....Judy
thx...He just turned 49 and Im his oldest at 21 so Ive basically been trying to take care of my brothers cuz their only 16 and 18....
He is still young and strong and let's keep the faith and pray that he will get thru this and this is soooo difficult for you who are only 21. I'm very proud of you taking care of your brothers. You are showing strength, courage and responsibility during these difficult and testing times. Don't be afraid to seek counciling from a priest, reverend of whatever denomination you are in. These experiences have a way of testing a persons faith...so, be strong and keep the faith...Judy