Grief & Loss Community
Devastated at the loss of my dog

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

Devastated at the loss of my dog

My little daxie passed away on Tuesday. When I got home on Saturday I could see something was not right as she didnt come to say hi. I never thought that what she had could be life threatening. I took her to the vet first thing on Sunday mornin and he said she had biliary. She had her jabs and he said she should be feeling better by the afternoon. By Monday morning she still wasn't well so I took her back. They gave her more jabs and sai she's developed jaundice as a result of the mediation and the biliary but he was so positive. I took her back that afternoon as she still hadn't even moved out of her basket the whole day. He said he'd put her on a drip and keep her the night. I felt so bad because she never went to anyone new and was such a scared little dog and even when people came round to the house she would just hide under my feet. On Tuesday morning I went to visit her and the vet was still so positive and he wasn't at all worried that she would make a full recovery. She passed away at about 10:00 am. I was holding her and the next thing she just started getting sick and she passed. I am devasted and my heart is shattered. I haven't been able to go home for too long and have been staying with my boyfriend who has been so understanding but I feel like this hole will never heal. There are moments I feel like I forget she's gone and it feels like she is just somewhere visiting and then reality hits me again and the tears just fall. I would give anything to have her back. She was my best friend. I keep thinking if only I'd taken her on Saturday Then she would still be with me. Sh was loved unconditionally every day of her life . If only I could turn back the clock.
"She was my best friend. I keep thinking if only I'd taken her on Saturday Then she would still be with me. Sh was loved unconditionally every day of her life."

I'm sure she knew this.  That's all anyone can do for their dog: love them unconditionally.  It's unlikely one day would have made a difference with how quickly she passed on.  You did everything you could once you knew something was wrong and were able to.

It's always hard losing a pet, but that hole does heal.  You'll always miss your dog, but you will be able to move on and get over it.  It's amazing how they become such a huge part of our lives and our hearts.  Remember the good times the two of you had, and rest assured it sounds to me like you did all that you possibly could have for her!
There is nothing more traumatic then losing your pet, in your case & mine, dogs, in my adult life I have had 2 dogs. both 15 years when I had to put them down. I was with them when they passed & believe that they knew I was there. I know they knew.
I actually was laying on my German Sheppard b/c I coulnd't let go. My heart hurt so bad. My stomach was upset & couldn't stop crying for weeks. For both of my dogs I made a collage(?sp) of all the pictues I could find. I cried & laugh and relived allot of great memories in doing this. Losing your pet is a life altering , tramtic expernice.  I was depressed for months but it did get better. Some people get other pets right away. I waited 1 year between dogs. After my 2nd I have not gotten another YET! But I will b/c I know that I always want someone to love me uncontionally , greet me when come home. & lay at my feet or on my bed. Don't beat yourself up on thinking you didn't do everything to help her b/c you did. Unfortunally we out live our pets. There are plenty of homeless dogs that would love to be with you. Give your self time to grieve, lots of it. You"ll make the move when you are ready. Your heart will feel better in time. Hang in their!
LandBray