Grief & Loss Community
Did I say right thing to someone grieving

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

My friend lost his Mum. I found out a week ago and emphasized if there was anything he needs he shouldn't hesitate to call. He thanked me

This week i sent another message saying he has been in my thoughts and re-empahsised im here to help. He texted back some details about the post mortem and said "she wouldnt have known it was happening (died in sleep) so its a small comfort". I texted back "yes that must be a comfort. Take care of yourself"

Was this completly the wrong thing to say? Am i belittling his fathers death?
I do not think you are belittling a death if you express concern for your friend's emotional state right now.  Agreeing that it was a comfort of sorts is not like saying "gee, that is good news."  Stay within the language your friend uses and you should be OK.  Except get it straight whether it's his Mum or his father, that might bother him.
Thank you for your insight. The last thing I want to do is make things worse, I hope he sees it in a similar way to you.

I changed some details after writing to keep anonymous (a bit ott, I know) I forgot to change the last bit though hence why I mention mother then father