Grief & Loss Community
End Stage Liver failure and Bi Polar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

End Stage Liver failure and Bi Polar

My husband has End Stage Liver Failure and Bi Polar. It is truely a roller coaster ride and I've never liked roller coasters!  For a couple of years he's been yellow and dry heaves and basiclly feeling bad. I think he knew and didn't want to know as I couldn't get him to the Dr. and the Dr. he picked wasn't a good one!  He drank and did drugs in prison 36 years ago before I knew him. Since then he found the Lord and has been a wonderful husband Father and friend to many.  They think he got hep.C from dirty needles in the 70s. One night he was unresponsive. I thought he was having a stroke. I got him in the car(how I don't know as he is 220 and a big guy and I'm not big)
They told me it was a seizure and kept him for test. We found out the diagnosis and the specialist told us it was termainal and maybe a few days to weeks. He has been really confused but not manic.  We brought him home and had hospice come in. Well then the Bi Polar kicked in and he was manic. He thought he could do anything including driving with trailer and horse in tow. He couldn't get on the horse which was good as he didn't have it saddled safely and wouldn't let me help.  He is very stubborn when in this condition and there is no stopping him from doing what he wants.  Due to great cowboy friends we got him and the horse home and got him into the hospital mental ward.  It was very hard to put him there. I just want him home for his last days.  They have him calmed down some now. I don't want them to over sedate him but he needs to be so he doesn't hurt himself or others.  
He was diagnosed with Bi Polar (manic depressive pschitsopraic) 22 years ago. Didn't have an episode at all while our kids were growing up. Then about 10 years ago he has had an episode every two years. We only have about 2 months out of the year that were good. This has been a long haul and now this! If it weren't for God's grace and comfort we couldn't never have made it this far. We've been married for 33 years most of which were smooth and wonderful.  These three diseases are a true test!  To medicate each one triggers the other to flare up.
Does anyone else have an experience with the Bi Polar and Liver failure? I'd like to hear anything you have to say.
I'm not sure what the end will be like but with God's help we'll make it through!
Oh by the way we are trying to get him calm enough to bring him home. We now have wonderful Dr. Psyc and medical that work well together. DON'T BE AFRAID TO FIRE your Dr if you don't like them. We did and have gotten great care sense!
Boo53
I'm sorry that I don't have experience with the ailments, but I do have experience with the passing of my mother, who died as I held her. You seem to be a strong woman and I just want to tell you to hang in there no matter what happens..you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.