I can help, over time.
I have read with much interest and concern regarding the list's interest in how liver disease progresses and how it results.

Last April (2007), I took some blood tests. I have Hep C (since 1994 or before), and I am an alcoholic. My liver, in April, was diagnosed as "imminent failure".

I work out everyday, as in the past, for about an hour. I am extremely healthy-looking on the outside.

As this list is so interested in how liver disease progresses, I would be glad to contribute descriptions of my gradual degradation.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one treatment for Hep C. That is "interferon". It is a 50% chance of success, with "chemotherapy-like" implications. In 1994, I declined the treatment. In that year, I had a liver biopsy. While I don't remember what the results showed, I do remember that the doctor told me to do a biopsy every year. I did not.

I live a normal life with my wife who is many years younger than myself. She likes going out a lot. I like that too.

In April 2007, I took a blood test that caused me to quit drinking/smoking for about 4 months. But, I returned to both.

Over the past year or so, I've noticed that my urine gets very cloudy. I have no pain, no other symptoms of liver failure. However, cloudy urine is a symptom of liver failure, so I assume my liver situation is worsening. The cloudiness used to take a couple hours to be evident, now, it takes but an hour.

While I've not returned for any additional tests, I believe I am in liver failure.

I will make an effort to post to the list how I progress with this, if there is interest. I don't plan to change anything in my lifestyle, I am not a "transplant" kind of guy, so don't expect to "heal".

If the list members are interested in reading how I progress, please post your expressions of interest to the list. I will respect what responses are received.

If any listmember has questions, I will try to answer them.

Please don't rule out a transplant.  My mother was 50 when she had her transplant.  She lived 21 years as a vital wife, mother, friend, post-transplant.  She saw me get married and was there for me when my husband left.  She was a loving and beloved grandmother to my three children, as well as my sister's three children.  Have courage and explore if it could be an option to you.  I would love to offer any information you might need.  
how are you?