Grief & Loss Community
Letter to my dead father, Anyone else done this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

A week ago i started anger management and my person told me that i have a lot of resentment towards my past and that has a strong impact on my temper, and one of these was towards my father, due to the fact before he died he disowned me as his own, also the fact i have no photos or personal items of his, and his grave is 4 hours away so i've never been able to visit. He told me to write a letter to him (obviously he'd never see it) as a way to put across how i feel as a way of releasing this resentment, but i have no idea's what i could include as i just feel a fool for attempting to write a letter to a dead person.

Anyone done this before or have any ideas?
Hi...yes, this is very therapeutic for us as it serves as a release for all our feelings and emotions.  Trust me you will feel so much better after you do this, and you may want to do it more than once and it's okay if you just toss them away.  Don't think of the letter as going to a dead person, it's about you writing down everything you are feeling......everything about your father...your pain...anger...everything.  You know, life can be very difficult at times for us due to another's actions so it's very important fore us to move beyond the past. Writing to your father will be a big step towards leaving the past behind you so you can feel better and move forward.  Right now you're his victim, even though he's gone...you're still suffering.  Write the letter as if your father were going to read it and trust me the words will just flow.  You need to release your anger and writing the letter is a big step in the right direction.  Just write what you're feeling and thinking about everything regarding him.  Take care.
thank you, i finally started the letter and once i started i couldn't find myself stopping, i really managed to realise so many emotions it felt amazing, so thank you for giving me that view
You're very welcome....take care.
Now you should write a 'response' letter 'from' your Dad to you.