Grief & Loss Community
Liver Failure and cirrhosis death, anyone go through this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

Viewing 201-330 comments:
EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET SHOULD HAVE A LIVING WILL, MEDICAL DIRECTIVE, HEALTH CARE PROXY, DNR--- WHATEVER! IT IS SO EASY, AND WILL PREVENT RESPIRATORS AND STOMACH FEEDING TUBES ETC., WHEN AND IF OUR QUALITY OF LIFE DROPS TO ZERO!!

PLEASE DO THIS, ALL OF YOU! HUGS---
Thanks for that....my Mum is a wine drinker who eats little to nothing. She has had a trip to hospital this April after collapsing at 2am. She is yellow in appearance with a swollen tummy and has severe noise bleeds often. I know that she has liver disease but she is a retired nurse who is refusing to go to the doctor. As soon as any thing happens, like we find an empty bottle in the garage or she falls over drunk and blacks her eye, she refuses to talk to us and acts extremely defensive and aggressive. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably end up watching her die. To read a sad tale like yours helps me glimpse what might happen and prepare me in some way as I am doubting that she will stop drinking any time soon.  
My motheer just turned 60 in April and has full blown cirrhosis, she to as a result has developed renal failure but she is receiving dyalisis for 3x per week. I think the most painful part is her suffering and her confusion, it's like watching her die slowly everyday and being helpless in the sideliness. She has slept from 11:00 pm last night and as of 12:33 i can not fully wake her she wakes for 5minutes and falls back asleep. any info you can share
My Dad is dying of primary liver cancer - Just Thank you all for you open heartfelt thoughtful posts.

Dr.carl
UPDATE:
My dad died on Sept 3, 2012. Doctor said that they could no longer do any procedure (except blood transfusion and iv medication) since my dad was bleeding severely inside and the last option was liver transplant but my dad was not a candidate either.  My mom signed a DNR and watched our father died. No medication, no feeding tubes for 3 days (just pain reliever and morphine on the last day) Seen all the blood came out through his ngt and intubator everytime he coughed. This was very painful. :(
My cousin died on Saturday 1st September 2012. She was in hospital over the Summer and was diagnosed with Jaundice and Hep C which she has had over the years. We were told it was either a tattoo when she was young, from a blood transfusion after her first child, sleeping around or alcohol. Which she and a witness said she had not drank for 6 yrs but the hospital say otherwise. Also been told that on one side of the family there could have been a black person yrs ago and this is why she had too many white blood cells. Her daughter has a bit of it too. In hospital she was waiting a livertransplant then  got sceptaceamia then the kidneys failed. I went to see her today with my mum and aunt. Am glad I didnt as my aunt (her mother) said she had gone a black colour and probably best not to see her. I would rather give her the respect and remember how she was. She was ony 51 and left behind 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren with one on the way in the coming weeks.
I am so sorry for your loss and pain. My brother is dying of cirrhosis as I type this. I wanted to say that you and your mom will not be responsible for the hospital costs, I believe. If your dad had property in his name they will attempt to take it for his bill. But your mom will have to fight it. I know you adn your mom experienced unbelievable pain watching him die. Please know he is at peace now and no longer suffers. May God bless you.
My brother just died a couple of weeks ago. He started bleeding profusly and went in the hospital to find he had hepatitus (hepatitis) and cirrosis (cirrhosis) of the Liver.
They tried to save him but his kidey's started to fail and his blood pressure dropped. He ended up on life support. His wish was not to be on life support so they took him off and he died shortly later. I know we are all mortal but I never lost I would loose him. He was only 55 and I think of all that he will not be able to do. I can only hope that he is in a better place.
Jim L
They tried to save him but his kidney's started to fail and his blood pressure dropped. He ended up on life support. His wish was not to be on life support so they took him off and he died shortly later. I know we are all mortal but I never thought I would loose him. He was only 55 and I think of all that he will not be able to do. I can only hope that he is in a better place.
Jim L
hi tracy my dad died of the same thing in june,i stayed with him for two weeks in hospital and watched him deteriate slowly its the worst thing ive ever seen in my life and has ripped me apart as a person . my dad drank on and off for twenty yrs but was the nicest friendliest person you could ever meet, but im so glad i held his hand till the end.
My dad passed away 2 years ago from cirrhosis of the liver. He was a heavy drinker for 20+ years. The last 5 years of his life he was in and out of the hospital. He says he quit drinking but we know now he hadn't. The first signs were vomiting blood around 8 years ago. He progressively got worse. He would blood infections in his blood, dropped down to 100lbs, could not eat, he had so many stomach pains...he was in the hospital this last time for about 6 months..he was just not getting better..I got a call at work he was dying. I came in and they had a CPAP on him to help him breathe. He was delusional and completely out of it. They kept giving him morphine to keep him comfortable. We decided against life support- the dr. said we made a good decision. I don't think my dad would have ever stopped drinking. My grandma stayed overnight in the chair next to his bed and I slept on the cold hospital floor. He was turning yellow and his kidneys started to shut down..his oxygen levels were dropping..his heart stayed strong though..it makes me so sad because if he would have stopped drinking a long time ago he could be here today. He finally passed away the next day at 8am with me and my grandparents there. His eyes never closed and his mouth looked so funny. He looked so sick and terrible I can never get that picture out of my head. I wish he never drank that much. After he passed we cleaned out his apartment and I found receipts from the grocery store. When he was living at home he was drinking two bottles of wine a day...after numerous of doctors telling him to quit.
Aww hun you were there with her when she needed you the most and trust me she was blessed to have you. I am a mother whith hep c and i worry constantly about the pain i am causing my young children my son is only 15 1/2 and he is my rock. I know you were your moms as well.
hello everyone.. Im back...

been a while, but for anyone interested here is where Im at with my dad.
he was refused at the hospital for the drains of the fluid.. they told him he needed to come in only when he reached a weight of 76kg... but the fluid was preventing him from keeping food down so he was losing weight and wasnt reaching this weight... he got so full that he started to not even be able to drink anything, so he went to emergency and they kept him in for three days to drain and monitor him, he came home feeling much better.
yesterday I went up to see him and he was laying in bed groaning in pain and had been vomiting all morning. the pallative care nurse wanted him to go to the hospital but he refused. he said it felt like his stomach was going to burst (he has a hernia) and he said the muscles felt like they were tearing apart... he isnt on any pain killers his mouth was so dry he struggled to talk to me. there was blood on his toung too. not sure why... he did manage to get up tho and sat in the loung chair for a chat. he is due to have a drain in hosp tomorrow. hopefully he isnt too uncomfortable while he waits for that.
anyway.. I keep reading these stories and Im so greatful you have all posted.. I guess you have given me the courage to post my story and maybe it mighthelp someone.. Even tho I need answers myself.

I was just told my wife has a week to a month to live. She will go into a coma soon. I tried to get her to quit drinking. I kept buying the booze. It is as if I killed her. I should have done more. She doesn't know yet but she feels it. We see the doctor tomorrow. Then she will know. I'm scared, it's been a long battle. It's like I want to go to sleep and not wake up. I don't know I just wanted to vent. Thanks
I lost my 23 nephew a month ago to alcoholic liver failure. I had never heard of someone that young losing their life to this disease. I came here for some answers, hopefully I will find them through other peoples experiences with this disease.
I guess my nephews passing was alot easier than some I have read here about. We didnt have the years of drinking and being sick before he passed away. It was relatively short. He was sick last August with what the doctor said was pancreatitis. He was told not to drink anymore. But he was 22 and thought he knew everything. Than a few months later he has seizures due to NOT drinking, so he figured if this is what happens when I dont drink, than a drink will help. He lost his appetite, lost weight than took on a yellow appearance. He was taken to the emergency room on a Friday night, where he was sent to another hospital that preformed liver transplants. By Monday he was being kept comfortable. We lost him on Tuesday morning. I guess we should feel lucky to have been spared the years of this disease. I miss him terribly
My husband passed away on the 22nd of September under the same circumstances.  He was only 53.  I stayed with him until the end.  I prayed for him, sang for him, told him his grandson (who was born on the 25th of September) will be named after him and held his hand until he stopped breathing.  I miss him terribly.  Only he knew why he could not stop drinking.  No matter how much we tried we just never could get him to accept that he had a problem and that he needs treatment.  He was in hospital for almost two months and suffered terribly. I hope one day I will be able to accept what happened and accept that I could not do more than what I have already done.
I lost my dad yesterday, ...on my birthday...to liver failure...kidney failure...because of alcohol.
I watched him suffer for 6 months in the hospital...He had alot of ups and downs, smiles and frowns...
I never knew this could be so painful, so sad.
I feel really lost, really hurt...I feel bad that I couldn't help him...
I lost my mother due hep c liver failure August 30th of this year. About 3 weeks after I got married. We never could figure out how she got this ugly disease but she did work in the medical field for years. It has been so rough and the road was rough and some things I have read here remind me of things we went through with her. In the end it was the simple negligence of the Dr's and their thinking about people with Hep C that did her in. She was a fighter and the best person I knew. She would do anything for anyone. She was always there to help. She was a great Mamaw to my 2 year old daughter and my neice and nephew. She was doing so good for so long and certain things had become routine for us. My daughter was used to seeing her in the hospital when she would have to go in for IV Lasix. My daughter actually thinks the Dr's are still making my mom better (how do you explain to a 2 year old????). Anyway she passed of Spontaneous Bacterial Perotonitis (hope I spelled that correctly). She was in and out of the hospital where we live before and after my wedding. They kept telling her it was nothing (although when I saw her lab work and blood pressures I knew something was not right but noone would help her) so we went on our yearly family vacay to FL (and partially my honeymoon). And me and my husband had to come home after a week but everyone else stayed home and one day after being home I got the call mom was in the hospital and admitted to ICU. The Dr's down there cared and knew something was wrong. They did all they could but she was too sick. It's been really rough because we were so close (we worked together before went back to school together saw and talked multiple times a day). She was my everything and now I don't have her. Liver failure is nothing to mess with and I wish Dr's cared more for their patients. They make them feel humilated about things and talk down to them. I just keep wondering if I had known everything when she was in the hospital the first time could I have made the Dr's test for what she passed of (every Dr asked her if she ever had it and since she didn't they didn't even look). Everyone says it will get easier but for me each day seems to get harder.
I lost a grandfather to cihrossis as well.  It's hard to watch them die and I don't think you ever get over that.  I found in my own life it has had a tendency to make me over aware, overly sensitive to those in my life that drink heavily.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
Hi Everyone

took my dad to a magic show last night, he really enjoyed it. he told me before we left to go to it that he really didnt think he was going to actually be here to go to it. was sad to see the tears in his eyes as he told me.
life is very precious - im holding onto every moment I have with him, I know it can be gone when you least expect it.

he also asked me if he could die at home. im scared that I will not be able to deal with taking care of him... I told him I would do my best tho and if it got to hard the palletive care nurses would help.
we talk seriously about it - but make jokes along the way (this helps him to keep from crying) feels like its not real sometimes.

hoping for a miricle for him, and for all of you.

Kris
x

Oh Kris.  That's so hard.  I have been there with my grandmother as she wanted both my brother and my mom there with her when she died.  They were there till the end, the two that took care of her the most and I know now, five years later, they wouldn't have it any other way.  You will find your strength.
thank you. I have tried to do everytihng I can now -  I do not want to hold any regrets afterwards, when there is nothing I can do about it.

chin up and onwards we move..I hope I find stength when the time is upon me.

thank you again

Hi Kristy.  Wising you some peace this Thanksgiving.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Martyjc1,
my prayers to you.  My husband is suffering from cirrohsis and is fighting to get on the transplant list.  I hope that you find the peace you so need it is such a hard experience.
thank you, this group has given me so many things that I know Ill need downt the track. you all help so much just by posting your own stories. I used to feel alone in this. but i feel i now have a place to go.

so thank you all again.
Hi all.

Dads going into hospital tomorrwo to have an acsitic tap. his legs are so swollen he cant walk more than 20 meters. I massage his legs to help move the fluid - it only helps momentarily as the fluid doesnt go anywhere... its like memory foam... can press fingers into it and the it forms the shape of my finger. skin is so tight it shines. his skin is reddish on his calves but his feet are quite yellow. massaging it is the only relief he can get, untill tomorrow hopefully. apart from the swelling and the jaundice he seems to be doing ok I guess... has been a bit forgetful eg - thought it was friday when it was wednesday. couldnt remember things we had spoken about only the week before... but generally he has been ok. eating small but frequently...cant keep it down otherwise.
is taking his fluid tablets... but the swelling still severe.

its hard to see him struggling with this.

its hard to imagine it will get worse, I know it will.

today we will set up our christmas tree - I hope to get my 10 yr old son to lay beneth the tree with my dad and I, with just the christmas lights on, listening to John Lennon - So this is Christmas. (small tradition in my family) Dad loves that song and I think it will make his Christmas very special if we get to do that :)

so still making memories as I know they will be what gets me through when times get tougher.  

I hope you all make memories to treasure this christmas.. and for those who have lost, my heart goes out to you.

My sister called me last night and told me that my beautiful 45 year old nephew was admitted to the hospital after his daughter called 911 because he also was vomiting blood.  He has been diagnosed with cirrhosis and we have been told that he needs a liver transplant.  The scary thing is that no one suspected that he had a problem; he has been a "functioning alcoholic".  There were some red flags but I guess no one suspected that there was a serious problem.  I, for one, ignored what should have been a sign that there was a serious problem.  Almost four years ago my other son who is now 43, told me that he had picked up a water bottle, thinking it was his, and when he took a drink, discovered that the bottle did not contain water but vodka.  My nephew then told my son the bottle belonged to him.  Since this just happened yesterday, we don't know yet what his prognosis is, or what stage the cirrhosis is but we are hoping that it is not too late for him.  Our whole family is in shock and we are all very scared.        
I just lost my 65 year old husband to alcoholic cirrsis on October 31st. For years I begged him to get help but would'nt even see a doctor. He lost so much weight that he was skin & bones. His abdomen was big & hard. He just lost his appetite & desire to eat. He was losing control of everything. His memory was so bad. He was so weak he could'nt even walk to the bathroom. Its a horrible disease to watch. Finally I got a private ambulance to take him to the hospital. They took 14 liters of fluid out of his abdomen. He was in ICU but the doctor put him into a regular room. He had an IV for fluids, & a feeding tube in his nose down to his stomach. They were treating him with Lactulose to get rid of the amonia (ammonia) building up to his brain. As soon as they took fluid out it would keep coming back. He was pretty much out of it by then. The doctor advised me to put him in hospice. I agreed after a few days. Basically what the do is take him off everything & give morphine & pain medication when needed. They said they were just keeping him comfortable. All they did was checkhis vitals. All his other organs were in great shape. Just the liver was gone completely. After 3 weeks in the hospital he passed away while I was there staying in the hospice room with him. Its a horrible death. He could'nt even speak at all. Just stare. I don't even know if he knew who I was. All I could do was rub his head & hand & tell him I loved him. I never wanted to suffer so much. Cirrosis (cirrhosis) has to be one of the most difficult ways to watch a person die before your eyes. I understand each of your concerns & problems. May God Bless each & every one. Love & Prayers being sent your way.
I lost my mother in July this year. She was just 55. She had been an alcoholic and tried to dry out many times over the last decade or so. Her liver had 95% failed just over a year before she died. She had already stopped drinking. She had chronic asthma. She was also slightly brain damaged , not so much as you'd notice but close family would. She had hepatitis in her younger years. After her liver failed she spent the majority of the year in and out of hospital . She was so weak she couldnt feed or wash or dress herself and was in a wheelchair, then she would have days where she was fine out gardening. She was jaundiced almost all the time for the last year and the whites of her eyes took on a greenish hue. She was exhausted, had no balance. She would bruise very easily as her blood would not clot. Anyone with a someone going through this knows what a viscious circle it is. She was in the process of being sent to the liver hospital in Dublin for tests for a liver transpant as she had been sober for more than a year, when she ended up in hospital again, she was severely struggling to breath and had a temperature, plus the usual constipation, swollen stomach pain etc. She was basically left there until Monday when she begged to be allowed to Dublin for her liver transplant elegibility tests. When she arrived we were told she had pneumonia and was in a fairly bad way but we had no idea how bad. she was extremely agitated over not being able to breath and had to have a mask strapped to her head. We found out she had e coli in her lungs and blood clots aswell -  god only knows how they missed this in the other hospital. After about a week she was moved into the ICU where she deteriorated, we still did not know she was dying her kidneys failed, she couldn't breath she was in pain, her liver had totally shut down. Over the next few days it somehow got worse she bled out, fitted, vomited, you name it she went through it. I remember when she first got sick and i was looking on sites to try and prepare myself and i couldn't find anything like what actually happened. The eventually intubated her on the saturday even though we had asked for days because she was begging for us to kill her because she could not breathe. The next day the machines were turned off , she ony lived for a few minutes she just breathed out and died.
My ex-husband is dying. He has been an alcoholic for 20 years. Now he has end-stage liver disease. We have 2 young adult kids who are trying to deal with watching him get worse every day. His belly was swollen and full of fluid. He had 12 pounds (5.7 liters) removed on Wednesday. He is already full of fluid again, and isn't sure if he wants to go through that painful procedure again. He sleeps 15+ hours a day and can barely walk to the bathroom with help. I hope it isn't a long, painful slow death. He is alert and clear-headed, and he knows he is dying. He is scared and cries a lot. He has bands in his esophogus to keep them from bleeding again. The doctors won't give him a time frame. We don't know if he has days, weeks or months left. The pain is terrible. He will be signing up for Hospice as soon as his doctor signs the paper. Hopefully Hospice can manage his pain.
Hi...I am so sorry for all your family is enduring, it's so sad.  Watching a loved one suffer and knowing they don't have much time is so very difficult.  You and your children must understand that the alcohol had him and it's a very difficult to stop.  People become alcoholics as a way of coping with things in their lives.  It starts out with a few drinks and before they even know it, they're addicted.  Try to impress upon your children that their dad has been suffering for 20 years, inside....but still suffering.  Tell them to appreciate this time to let their dad know how much they love him and to say all they've ever wanted to...some of us don't get this opportunity.  All of you will feel better if you let him know you understand why he drank, and that you still have fond memories and still love him just as much.  Take this opportunity to make peace with everything in your hearts. Their dad will live on in his children and they need to know this.  They will carry him with them for the rest of their lives as he smiles down on what wonderful children he has.  Tell them to live a happy and honorable life as this is what their dad wants more than anything.  Hospice will not allow him to suffer, they will keep him pain free.  But often this means he will sleep even more, so it's imperative that all of you spend this time with him and say everything that is important to all of you.  You want him to leave this world knowing he was loved.  My heart goes out to all of you, and I hope this helps is some way.  Hugs to all of you....
Hi All

Dads been in hospital over christmas - had a drain and they discovered a massive clot in his leg.. I now have to give him a daily injection of blood thinner to help it desolve and to prevent more happening... his leg was so swollen and horrible... it was starting to blister and leak :( poor bugger.
its so hard... so so hard... the drs came into see him and there were 6 drs...all looking very grave... they told him that this was a clear sign things had progressed and that once id been educated on how to give the injections he would be going home and that if anything happens from here on in im to call pallitive care.... I guess that really hit me pretty hard.
when i first walked into that room - before the drs came in to see us... my dad was sitting at a small desk, back to the door, thinking and writing down questions on a piece of paper... i wanted to cry, this man, my dad, is clutching at straws and obviously feels scared and frightened about whats coming. and there is nothing I can do. he is more yellow than before... sleeps majority of the day... has what seems like a million pills to take... apart from some conversations that seem od or a bit off track he is still mentally ok.
giving him the injections is terrifying... but I have to do it... he said he would prefer me to do them. but then he instructs me and starts to get mad or cranky cause he thinks im taking too long to do it.. the last one we both yelled at each other and then burst into tears hugging each other,... it was just aweful. a daughter trying to help and a father sick of the pain and needles yet still trying to be strong for me... I cant imagine from his side of things.

so. I guess we are coming into the home stretch... but i pray that we have another corner to turn.. and more time. except I feel guilty because I know if he had the choice he would want it to all be over.

:(
amongst all of this Tasmania has been gripped by raging bush fires and my home was very close to being lost... my front fence was burned down and the fire came within meters of my house...we were homeless for three nights as the fire burned many houses and towns in our community.. thankfully my dad was up at the hospital and safe at the time.
many decisions I made in the last few days meant my family were able to move and act fast enough...

I was praying for a better 2013... unfortunatly it appears im out of luck :(

My dad just passed on Jan. 12th 2013.
Feels strange to even say that.
He had end stage cirrhosis and ascites for roughly 3 years. I took him regularly for "taps". In November in had got a infection in his ascite fluid. Took him to ER for iv antibiotics. Then got transferred to long term care for iv antibiotics. Then developed kidney failure, pneumonia, blood infection. He had not eaten in 5 weeks do to "illeus" partial stomach obstruction. Then he was incubated. I made the decision to "pull the plug". He is now existing in heaven. And I will be with him soon. CANT WAIT!
I am sorry for your lost. My prayers are for your family.  My brother has end stage liver from alcoholic liver disease.  It not easy watching him each day waste away. Hes only 53. I have read how so many others are feeling like I do. Sad and wish I could do more.  I lost my husband Feb. 23.2000 and in Feb 18, 2007 l lost my grandson Peyton 4yrs old and his dad in a house fire. We bury them on the 23 of Feb. last week the doctor told me they are just keeping him in comfort.. And with Feb. coming I just..feel like is that when we lose him.  He been caregiver for my mom for many years and we are worry about mom too. My prayers go out to all that feel like you cannot make the love one stop drinking. But maybe sharing our pain someone may see and read  this and stop drinking before someone may be adding them too.  I love my brother I just wish he would of stop his alcohol use. Now he suffer so much. I pray heavenly father you give us all strength Amen . Nancy
so - dad is going through a really tuff time. he is getting confused ect.. very yellow eyes, not toileting and hardly able to eat.
everything ive read so far has said that this is pretty serious.. I have had some great support on the site from others who are going throught the same things...
things went down hill fast... i plan to take time from work to be with him. he needs help to dress and shower and eat.. well what he can eat that is. and that is very little. ive made him a milkshake type of food/drink and this is about all he can keep down.. very small amounts and not very often.
i htink he has started to give up. he is utterly exhausted. seems an effort to breath.

i hope he gets through this one. but he told my partner he is near to the end... i guess he has given up. had enough of the needles, the visits to the hospital, the waiting.

i wonder how long my dad has to suffer this horrible thing...
I wish things were different.. they are not. i hope he doesnt suffer too much more. its agonising seeing him wasting away and losing hope.
and i keep wondering.. no matter how much reasearch i do.. how many questions i ask, how many stories i read, WHAT WILL HAPPEN? what way will this thing take him? how much can he take?
this site is great but i have found there is no getting past the fact that NO ONE can tell you or prepare you for what will come.
so very touched by what you said. Impressed you exude no anger... just love for your mother. How awesome you cared for her as you did.
Yes, all that legal ease is important. However, I was in a coma for three months. I was ventilated, then trached. The dr.s wanted to take me off life support. My 85 year old father would not let them. The dr.s said we will not to CPR on her, my dad said you will do everything you can. I woke up. No, I am not the same... but my children and family have had almost 4 more years with me. I have also had stage III advanced breast cancer. Only given a 25 % chance to live 5 years... that was in 06. Honestly, I think due to the cost... our mindset to just let people go has been pushed on us through media to save the insurance companies and government money. Give someone at least 6 months... maybe even a year. We grow in our mothers womb for 9 months .... but I think we give up to fast . Sorry , but I am a living example.
well, the morning after my last post, My Dad passed away.
I just cannot beleive it to be honest.

it was such a shock - even though Ive had the past 12 months caring for him and knowing this would happen... it hit me like a brick.

we were with him on wednesday night, talking and I knew he was pretty worried. he held my hand and thanked me for looking after him. He asked me to shave him, so I did.. he felt better after that..tho I could still see he was truely exhausted. my partner was the last to speak to my dad.
I found him, the next morning, at about 7am. he had gotten up, maybe through the night and had put on his christmas lights and let his love bird out of his cage as he normally would... he was until the day before, still mobile and able to do everthing for himself. it was only when he tried to put up a curtain and he fell three times... then he was really worried and spoke to my partner and I able having to help him shower ect... he did not want me bearing the brunt of this so he made sure my partner was able and willing to do these things instead of me... turns out we would never have to help him in this way. so while sitting in his recliner watching tv, was when I guess his liver totally failed. he hadnt struggled.... had simply turned his head to the side. where he seems to have vomited blood on his shoulder and thats where he stayed. I would think from this that it was rather fast... he didnt try to get up, to reach for a towel, to move at all. I went up to see him, worried he might be a bit concerned that i was taking yet another day off work... but i found him, just as I discribed.. head slumped to the side, those beautiful blue eyes open, just staring. I toughed his shoulder, he was still warm and called his name three times before i seen on his right side the blood.. well its not like blood... its a horrible black dark dark red stuff like ground coffee i guess.. I turned and ran so fast to get my partner.. not crying yet as I was not 100% sure I was even awake... seemed to unreal.

then when my partner came up and he followed me into see him and i heard his shock then I knew.. I knew it was real. my dad had really gone.
I broke down then.

I guess I knew... when the afternoon before id gone up to see him and he was so confused and his eyes were so yellow they scared me...
I guess I was scared then because before they were only ever yellow in the corners of his eyes... this time the whites of his eyes were completly yellow.

he passed away on 24/1/13.
and we said our goodbys only two days later 26/1/13 - Australia day.

I know now he is not hurting and he loved me and was greatful for me taking care of him.. he got to tell me so.

I will continue to follow this tread... if it doesnt hurt too much.

thanks for listening

Kris

rest eternally in peace Dad - I love you so much.

I just cannot beleive it to be honest.

I broke down then.

he passed away on 24/1/13.

thanks for listening

Kris

I know the feeling, I went through the exact same thing watching my Dad ...he passed on the 31st of Oct as well...seen all the same things, it was so sad...keep strong
I just lost my 40 year old fiance a month ago (Jan. 21, 2013)  due to liver failure. He had been Gin a constant basis for about 2 years and it seemed like over night he became jaundiced. He was almost orange and even the whites of his eyes were yellow. Finally, I convinced him to go to the local hospital and he got three different unrealiable diagnosis so it was 2 to 3 weeks before I could influence (beg) him to go to one of the best hospitals in the state. Well, Saturday morning at 1:00 am in the morning, I convinced him to let me take him to that one in the top 10 best hospitals in the nation but it was too late. They were doing all that they could possibly do but his liver was so far gone that he died the following Monday. Unfortunately, I didn't get closure because once he was admitted, they immediately began to work on his failing body and he was unconscious. I didn't get to say goodbye, I love you or anything and this just breaks my heart even more. I dated him about a year and a half and begged him when I first met him to not only stop drinking or at least cut back and also, go get a checkup because he told me he hadn't had a checkup in years. Had he gone a year and a half ago, he could have gotten a new liver however, since he didn't he paid the sad price. He had so much potential. He had an IQ of 150, a Doctorate of chiropractic, and over 200 credit hours of college. Such a waste of a great mind but he just couldn't kick the addiction. I miss him beyond belief and can hardly function somedays from the horrible grief in my heart.
i also have liver problems cirrhosis. some days i feel ok and other days i feel relay bad. my doctor says this is because of the blood flow through the liver he may appear fine and his eyes may look ok however the em zines may be better then they were before. have his em zines checked monthly. only prevention can prolong his and my life. transplants are very hard to get unless you or your family member wants to take the risk of the surgery. my brother wants to donate half of his liver to me my answer to that was NO. he can have a vain from his leg put in his liver so the blood doesent go through the liver. but the surgery is about 200,000 thousand dollars.  
My mom has cirrhosis and hep c due to heavy drinking . She has had it for as long as i can remember.  I am 25. She was told over 15 years ago she would not live past 5 years. Although the past few years her health has declined, she continues to drink heavily.  She has been in and out of the hospital due to this diseases. She has gotten extremely thin except in her belly where she looks 9 months pregnant.  Last week she lost control of her bowls.  She has been using the bathroom on herself at night due to it. Does anyone know if this is a sign of her liver shutting down? I've been trying to research it but haven't been able to find anything.  She refuses to go to the hospital because she cannot drink beer there.  Can someone tell me if your loved ones have experienced this please? Thanks
Hi Steph

I lost my husband of liver and kidney failure early last month, it's like a nightmare.  He had also been drinking alot & didn't want to go to the hospital.  The reason why her stomach looks as if she's pregnant could be because there's fluid build up in her stomach (ascites).  

Pray for your mother.  Both you and your mother will need the love and support of family and friends.  It's not easy to look after a loved one in that state.
I'm a medical doctor and scientist and an alcoholic.  I have cirrhosis and esophageal varices.  I know I can't reverse this, and I know I will die soon.  I am screened regularly for hepatic cancer, but I would rather die from a drunk overdoes than having to suffer a futile cancer treatment.  Am I wrong?
I came here after googling signs of death cirrhosis.  What an amazing amount of information everybody has provided.  I guess I just don't know what to expect and was looking for some answers.  

I took my mom (55) to the hospital mid January because of her belly swelling and she was jaundice.  She's been a heavy drinker for decades. They kept her for a week and did every test possible.  They knew it was cirrhosis but thought it might be more I guess.  They did a tap (1.5L) and she went home.  

A couple of weeks later, I took her to a different hospital.  She was there a week or so and did two taps (2.5 and 4L) and we got her set up with hospice.  During most of her stay she'd gotten really confused and didn't call me by the correct name (I'm her only daughter, 1 of 2 children).  It was just bizzare.

She was released and came to my home.  Her confusion went away. She seemed better and kept saying she was going to be fine, etc.  She's sleeping most of the day, eating very little, and extremely weak.  They came to do another tap but her blood pressure was too low (90/60) so they didn't.  They came a few days later after taking her off some of the water pills and it was 82/60.  Put her back on pills.  Came yesterday and it's 82/50 heart rate 110.  Her tummy is the most swollen it's been at this point.

I have no idea how long her suffering will be or what to expect I guess.
Anyone with any questions regarding cirrhosis please feel welcome to visit our Cirrhosis of the Liver Community.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cirrhosis-of-the-Liver/show/1390
I just admitted my fiance this morning after him taking his final fall onto the bathroom floor.  According to GI specialist he drinking was going on for far longer than any of us knew.  They are waiting for his blood to cloth so that they take the fluid out of his abdomen. He has been jaundice for sometime and I saw the signs of this coming for some time now.  He liver is almost nothing, so if he does make it he wil be in and out of the hospital constantly until he can complete an AA program of some sort in order to even qualify him for a new liver.  I am 31, and he is 41, I never thought at this point in my life I would be going through this, I'm not sure how to continue my life without him(although I know I will somehow)  I am completely numb from the thought of the man I know who so is beautiful, but yet haunted for so long with so many demons about to die.  We had so many plans in life, our future children named and it's all about to be taken away from us and he is about to be taken from this world.  It's his fault he drank, but he actually quit not that long ago, but it was to late for his body.  I stopped home to walk the dog and try and breathe, but so far only the dog has been walked.  I just want to scream at the world as loud as I can and hold onto him so he knows how much he is loved.  I know that pain will subside, but it just keeps getting worse.  Those of you that pray, I ask for prayers for his peace and comfort and to know love
I went through a very similar thing with my Mum last May.The Dr's kept sending her home with no diagnosis.I knew that she was dying and when she was eventually admitted with acute liver failure due to auto immune disease she died a slow death 2 weeks later.I am now starting to remember her as she was before her illness but we are all still haunted as a family about it all.I find it hard to work,be a good Mum and wife and to talk about it.Most of the time i wish I could just sleep my time away.I have so much anger towards the hospital and although i know that the outcome would probably have been the same,the journey was very difficult due to poor communication and a lack of empathy from nursing staff.Sorry to be so negative but it needs to comeout sometimes ...
I'm 29, so I can relate, age wise.  This is a terrible thing to watch, isn't it?  Do the doctors think he might pull through or is it too late?
His kidney's are holding and he was responding well to things and was going to start physical therapy, but this morning he had pain in his belly and it turns out he has a hernia and an obstucted bowel.  They wont do surgery for obvious reasons that he would probably die on the table, so now its wait and see what happens.  They gave him pain meds earlier and due to the liver not processing that drug it has made him very loopy today.  I brought my lap top and am sitting in the hospital as I write this.  Whenever he wakes I I try and just get him talking about things we used to do and show him slideshows of pictures on here and he seems to focus for a bit and his mind comes back to him for a short while.   I just hope he knows how much he is loved and that I'm here with him.   Day by day we take it, but somehow somewhere I am somewhat at peace today a bit.
My aunt died of cirrohis in July of 2012. She is the best aunt I every had. She was like a sister and best friend and like a second mom. I miss her so much and always wonder to myself why would she do that when she has 12 kids? I still have a hard time coping with her death. I miss her so much. I just remember one day when her boyfriend called and told us something is wrong with her, he said she was standing in the corner and very confused. And he said he was frighten off of it. We told him get help! He was afraid and we found out why, it was because he was drunk to. She started drinking heavily when she met him. I wish sometimes she never met him. But I look at my little cousins and am blessed for what she left behind. So after I tried to do what I can to get help for her, he finally got help. I called him to make sure and in the background I could hear her talking but very confused. She didn't know her own name. She didn't know where she was and what she was doing. My parents flew out to Salt Lake City where she was admitted to the hospital and went into coma. It was like a roller coaster cause one minute they say she'll be okay, she'll make it threw until we got the call that her internal organs all shutdown and she won't be albe to make it. After her funeral we found out that she was waiting for liver transplant and never told no one about it, not even her kids or boyfriend. Only she knew. I always wondered why she hid it, until I read most of these stories that my guess was she didn't want us to know why she needed them. Now I understand. It's very heartbreaking and I wish everyday that she was still here with us and that she never drank. Now that thought came to me, myself and I think about my kids. I don't want my kids to be left with unanswered thoughts like I'm wondering about her. She was very young, she was 32. I made a promise to her that I won't drink no more so I'm stopping. Thank you very much for everyone stories. RIP auntie Stephanie, I really miss you so much.
My fiance passed away in my arms on Monday morning.  I don't know how I feel.  Part of me is relieved that he is no longer in pain mentally or physically and that this nightmare of being in denial over the fact that he was an alcoholic is over and then the other part is not sure how to go on with my life without the man I was suppose to spend the rest of my life with.  I fell in love with this man in three days, moved in together within 3 months and have been inseperable ever since.  I truely believe he was my soul mate.  Even our dog has been laying around since this has happened....it's as if she knows, which I am sure she does.  I am looking into support groups to attend soon because I know that I can not do this on my own.  Its funny even in his death I am still hiding how much he drank because I don't want others to judge the man he was based on what killed him.  Make the time you have with them count, I did and do not have any unfinished business or words that were not shared.
In these cases, where they are sleeping and won't wake up, they need immediate medical help.  Call 911, or get them to the ER, immediately.

When the liver fails the electrolytes get out of wack.  A build up of ammonia will cause brain dysfunction leading to comma, which usually results in death.  Potassium may become very low and cause heart failure.
Hi, I am a survivor of alcoholic liver failure...I am 32. I had 14 doctors in the hospital, and they discharged me to die...they gave me 7 days and said they did all they could do. That was a year ago. I don't understand why I was spared and so many other young people did not make it. There are more cases of young people passing from this illness than ever.  i am sorry for your loss.
Alcoholism is a terrible thing. And VERY VERY difficult to coach a person against. I lost one sister 8 years ago, she just would not stop despite a couple of trips to hospital, despite warnngs.

Eventually her body just had enough. Se passed away quietly in hospital one morning. Told the nurse to call her mother, she was 'going now'.

Now, another sister, seems to have liver disease with affected liver function. Despite being warned by me and others to NOT drink, that eight years ago, at the time of my other sister's passing.

Not helped by a boyfriend who does nothing to stop her, if anything seems to encourage, by going out wth her and bieing there while they drink.

She has effects now, vomiting, abnormal function tests.  A little while ago, another sister told her, that she could smell the alcohol on her breath, she claimed that her mouthwash needs changing, it is too strong.

Some thinks its denial, but they cannot fool themselves, they are under some illusion that they are able to fool others.

The hardest thing is trying to get an alcoholic to listen. Do not blame yourself, many try and cannot. A friend of mine used to work with alcoholics, he said he has seen so many things they do to avoid being 'caught'. One person even put the alcohol in a firehose in the garage, so the spouse would not find it.

I have come to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to stop.
'
Best wishes all.
It's so hard to watch your love one disappear in front of you. I feel helpless and alone. The time is getting close. My husband is in pain and he feels sad all the time. He sleeps all the time and he's gets paracentesis twice a month. They wanted to do it more often, but he's so weak afterwards.  We've been married 40 years and I miss so many things we use to do together. He's waiting to be put on a liver transplant . I feel people don't care because they way he got the disease. I think they would treat him much better or be more sympathetic if he had cancer. They are judgmental and have no compassion.
My prayers go out to everyone who's going through this difficult time. Thank you for listening.
I'm new here but I have been following posts since my husband was diagnosed with NASH cirrhois 3 yrs ago and almost died . He has been denied a liver transplant because of also having diabetes and ecemich (spelled wrong ) heart disease and his age is now 3 months from 73. He is living still only because of lactulose but I see drastic changes in his memory and energy (he can not do anything really except sit in recliner and play on his laptop) . I thank God every day for one more day with him even though he has lost the quality of his life.  My daughter, age 51, who is actually my husbands step-daughter was also diagnosed with this terrible disease in Feb 2012 but she was an alcoholic. Sadly we lost her Feb 16th of this year when she passed away in her sleep by hemmoraging . I never knew how much pain it would be to lose your child and the grief is truly unbearable at times. It is so important to quit drinking any alcohol if you are diagnosed with cirrhois . My husband drank socially but won't even take a sip anymore.
condition of my relative is very serious..the water inside the body is not going fully as urine..staying more amount of water inside.due to this the body getting bulge .it is because of liver cirrhosis..what i do?
Mark is still awake and alert, and he is a man on a mission. He asked his Mom to share his story with others, in hopes that it may change someone's life. I think it's a great mission, and I am going to do my part.
Mark and I were married many years ago and had 2 wonderful kids Misty and Nick. Mark was a fun-loving party-goer who loved his beer and marijuana. After a few years, it became a problem... and played a big part in our divorce. After the divorce, the drinking got worse. He and I both eventually remarried and moved on with our lives. The kids adjusted. Their Mom was the level-headed, boring parent and Dad was the fun, exciting, Harley-riding parent. Both kids loved both parents, and both parents loved both kids.
Then Mark got sick. His liver started showing signs of the abuse. Small signs at first...weight loss and fatigue, nausea and vomiting. Gradually the signs got worse. He spent some time in the hospital, and doctors told him to stop drinking or he would die. He tried. He quit for several months, but the temptation was too much. He continued to drink for another year. Last August, everything changed. He landed back in the hospital and nearly died. He had bands placed in his esophogus to stop the bleeding. He was scared, and he finally quit for good. Cold-turkey, with only his family to help him. The kids were (and still are) very proud of him. After his doctors realized he was sober and detemined to stay that way, they made a deal with him. He had to successfully complete outpatient alcohol rehab classes, and he would be placed on a liver transplant list. Everyone was excited. It was a great chance for a new life! Mark enrolled in the classes and actually enjoyed them. He spoke to his class about his liver disease, hoping to make a difference in someone's life. That was important to him.
He had less than 4 weeks of classes left when he was rushed to the ER last week. He was told Saturday that he won't be getting a new liver. He was sent home with Hospice, and has "a few days to a few weeks left". Now our kids are devastated and spending as much time with him as possible. He is 46 years old.
The liver has many jobs. It filters the toxins from your body, helps clot the blood, and plays an important part in digestion/nutrition. A person cannot live without it.
Many people (yes, even some on my "friends" list) enjoy drinking alcohol. I hope you all read this post and understand that alcohol slowly kills your liver. There is a point where the damage becomes severe and permanant. Once that point is reached, it's too late. I can't help Mark recover his life. I wish I could. But I can help him share his lesson.
I have just come home from visiting my ex-partner of 20 years.  He is the father of my 2 boys aged 13 and 11.  We split up 3 years ago because as the children were getting older, I couldn't live with his binge drinking and didn't want the children to live it either.  He now lives with his mother, who is also an alcoholic.  My heart breaks for the sorry state he is in; he is refusing to see a dr.  He has obvious jaundice, including his eyes, muscle wasting, hugely distended abdomen, very swollen feet.  He passes blood in his stools and has little appetite.  He says he does not drink because of vomiting.  I have loved him all my life, he is 45yrs old.  I know he went down hill when he became registered blind 4 years ago, apparently due to smoking roll up cigarettes without filters for many years.  He has battled alcoholism, but always gives in to the demon drink, and I don't know who to talk to.  His mother is oblivious to his deterioration.  Can I call his gp to visit? I know he would not want to go to hospital, and that he has given up really; I so wished he could have got the help he needed sooner; his boys really need him, and I ache thinking about how to help them cope with the inevitable outcome. I don't know how to find out how long he has left to live, but I have looked on various websites for information about final stage cirrhosis, and feel he is at this point.
My husband just died of liver disease. I searched all the websites after he turned yellow and wondered what was going on. He was told 5 years ago that he had liver disease but he kept drinking. He turned yellow on or about March 11 and was dead by April 15. He was taking lactalose and various other medications to clean out his system. On April 14 he started throwing up blood. He just got worse from there and by the 15th he was gone. It was very hard. There were no other symptoms except his turning yellow and having stomach pain. On his death certificate it stated End Stage Liver disease, prognosis months. I am so sorry if you find yourself in this situation. Hold on strong and pray. I am happy that he passed so quickly. The final month was very painful but he wouldn't let on. He didn't want everyone being sad. I can't imagine how painful it would have been if he had to hold on for months. I think it would have been harder on our family. Just make sure to tell your loved one how much you love them as often as possible and how much they mean to you. My last words to my husband were how much I loved him and I would see him later. I did see him but he didn't see me. I was there holding his hand as they tried to revive him. I kept telling him it was OK to go and that I loved him very much. My heart goes out to you if you have to live through this. I am praying for you.
My only sister died last april 23 2013 because her cancer spread to her liver. Everything happens so fast. she was fighting breast cancer since 2011. We found out that she has liver metastases april first and she dies april 23.  It was really painful because we thought that we can still be with her at least until sept.  she went to confusion and then coma.    
i have end stage liver disease.  and i dont have any money to buy medications so im still working as hard as i can even it so difficult for me you are all lucky your government supported you..in my country its very expensive to get a transplant..what can i do now is looking to the stars every night and wonder if miracle will come or the other way around make this horrid disease  make my suffering short.
Im posting here because this forum has helped me out alot in figuring out whats going on with my grandma.  She's been a heavy alcohol drinker for over 20 years.  She also abused drugs for about 10 years.  She was diagnosed with Hep C a few years ago and do to her heavy drinking she could never undergo proper treatment or take the required meds.  When I would get on her about drinking she would make comments like, "It's alright... I have to die from something." She never stopped drinking.  It got to the point where she would hide it from us or sneak to the store to buy it on her own.  

I noticed over the last 1-2 years her health started to fail.  She barely ate, she lost weight, she would often "feel sick", she would become weak, her stools started being dark and were sort of uncontrollable.  She would be in and out of the hospital for either her "feeling sick" or breaking her hip from her heavy alcohol use.  Each time she went in the doctor would tell her to  stop drinking.  She would always get diagnosed with some type of infection on each hospital visit.  She could never successfully take any of the antibiotics or other meds prescribed to her bc she would rather drink.  

Right now she is in the hospital and this has to be one of her worst hospital visits ever! I'm always with her whenever she is hospitalized, but I can honestly say that this is one of the worst times,  When she went to the ER they admitted her and she was placed in ICU.  She has lots of infections, her stomach is full of fluids, her eyes and skin looks yellow, some internal bleeding, low blood pressure, and now her legs and feet are swollen with red dots on them.  The doctors are giving her antibiotics to fight the infections that are present, and they have been doing so since the 12th.  They have told us that shes in liver failure, but they cannot give her a biopsy (to see how much of the liver is ACTUALLY damaged) bc of the infections that she have. She's responsive one day and the next day she may be really sleepy and have difficulty even talking.  They moved her from ICU after about 5 days and put her in the Stepdown Unit. In the Stepdown Unit they are giving her low doses of some powerful pain meds to help control her pain, but really nothing else.  Just last night, we were informed that her kidneys aren;t working at all!!! The doc said that they need her kidneys to work, but more than likely they won't and even if they do her life expectancy is no longer than 6 months.  They just started giving her meds to try to get the kidneys working, but cant do dialysis because of the alcohol thats in her body.  Sooooo what theyre doing now is trying to get the infections under control and the kidneys working again.  

I want to know how likely it is that the kidneys will start working and how long after the kidneys stop will she be able to live? My grandma is in pain!!!!! Regardless of the outcome, I can say that she definitely lived her life.  It just hurts seeing her in so much pain.  It doesnt seem like her little body can tolerate it all! Shes a fighter!

I have been telling her for years that her alcohol use doesn't only affect her, but it affects us as well.  I have came to terms with myself months ago that my grandma was killing herself.  Its just hard watching her go through so much pain.  

Shes only 62 years old!

Please comment!
I have lost several relatives to alcoholism basically.  It is so awful to watch and it's hard having to be the parent to a parent.  My heart goes out to all of you.
I appreciated your posts about your fiancé. I lost my partner of 10 years on April 4 from acute alcoholic hepatitis. I loved him dearly and would not trade any of my time with him, including the final few weeks, His daily alcohol use was always an issue for me and is what kept me from marrying him. I felt relief once he was admitted to the hospital and doctors talked about his diagnosis openly. I shared the diagnosis with friends that visited and everyone was shocked because they only saw social drinking. It was a relief not to carry that secret any longer, though since his death, I have felt bad that some people may think less of him for knowing the diagnosis. I can only hope that his friends think about their own lifestyle choices and make changes while they can.  
I am so sorry for your loss.  I too have cirhosis and asicetes edema shortness of breath and told not long left.  
my dad died 20 years ago caused of liver cirrhosis (alcoholism) and i was just curious that is it possible i can get also that same?
Hi I lost my Ex partner Saturday 15th June he left behind 3 children 15, 6 and 8 ,His name was michael he was first diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver a couple of years ago not sure what stage it was at. He didn't give up drinking he had been a every drinker for 30 years he was 45 when he died. he went in  to hospital about his leg has he had thrombosis most likely  caused by drink they took him in straight away he was very jaundiced skin and eyes were yellow swollen stomach  the lot me and my daughter was shocked at the sight of him. He was in there for a month and then he discharged himself and bought drink his family persuaded him to go back so he did the next day, he then discharged himself again. His cousin went and got him and took  him to a specialist hospital, I still thought he would get better, he went in on the Thursday went to see him on the Monday he was bed ridden he couldn't go to the toilet he had pads underneath him and his urine was very dark but still he was sitting up talking Tuesday he was slowly getting worse wed he took a turn for the worse the doctors Heavly sedated him and he was on oxygen, he went a grey mustard coulor  and we was told that his liver is poisining his kidneys they said they would try to repair the kidneys and said if there's any  bit of liver thats working he may have a chance but to be honest  we knew there was little hope but hope was all we had. But they couldn't repair the kidneys the dialysis wasn't working so we put a DNR on him sat morning his heart stopped and that was it. Just wanted to tell this to all u heavy drinkers who have been diaignosed with early stages Of liver disease give up now while you still have a chance  think about what you are doing to yourself and to the people around you it's not nice seeing someone you love drinking themselfs to death especially your kids.
My dad is in hospital as I type he has cirrhosis of the liver and had internal bleeding last night was was due a operation today.  Stubborn as he is he refused to have any surgery.  To our delight the hemorrhaging stopped however as today went on he has gotten worse.  His kidneys have failed and jaundice setting in and fluid building around the heart with possible pneumonia.  His body is slowly giving up the fight and deliria we have been told they will not resuscitate if his heart gives in.  It now in gods hands and only the hope of a miracle will keep him alive.

Its sad watching someone waste away due the effect of alcoholism and I hope people find the strength to stop before its too late.
Hi Kristy, I was touched by your story- I too am going through this very thing with my husband of 34 years- he is in the last stages of cirrhosis- has been in the hospital 6 times since last july- wasting away- sleeps more and more, feels like hes pulling away also- this is sooooo hard, some days I cry non-stop, afraid of whats to come- just wanting to wake up from this nightmare, his doctors never say very much except the last one about a month ago said" your prognosis isn't very good, if we can control your symptoms you may get 1-2 years- I have a gut feeling its more like 1 year, I have the unfortunate position of being a nurse as well as a wife! knowing too much is not helpful to my situation- talking to others however; has been helpful- my thoughts are with you and all the others who are suffering out there,   Diane Coleman
Hi Diane

its the hardest thing to watch, you feel utterly helpless. all your life your told that Drs can help you - your sick, go to the drs and they help make you better. when you are sitting in those little rooms and a whole team of them come in and tell your loved one that the condition has progressed to a point where he will be sent home to be 'comfortable' it knocks you - hard.

the clock continues its countdown.... can not be stopped and the courage our loved ones must have to hold it together like they do -Im so proud of my dad and how he handled facing his fate. he wasnt a perfect dad -  but he was perfect at the end and that i know, was to protect me and be brave for me.

my heart goes out to you and your husband. for what you will one day have to face. I hope you can both be brave and help support each other....
there is endless questions... no one can answer exactly how it will happen...I guess you have taken the best steps in coming to this site and arming yourself with the knowledge of what to look for, and being a nurse you will know... when its getting close. it doesnt stop it - you dont find the miracle cure :( but it helps to know we are not alone in this terrible journey...
My dad seemed to go quite peacefully... there was no sign if struggleing and I have to beleive that it was fast. I wish I had been braver for him and held his hand while he passed away. it does kill me that he was alone in his final moment. I know he would have prefered it this way though. he would not have wanted me to see it.

I hope that you and your husband cherish the moments you have together. take photos - i didnt take enough pictures....

I still think of my dad every day. he visits me in my dreams and he is just the way i remember - he is around me :)

good luck to you and your husband - my thoughts are with you both.

My Father is 72 years old, diabetic for 20 years, insulin-dependent.   He has stopped drinking/smoking when he was 52, after he learned that he has diabetes.  He took care of himself, ate the right foods, exercised, go for regular check-ups and take his medicines on time. Though sometimes, he cheats and eat high-sugar and oily foods and drink soda.  It was only after 10 years when he had to depend on insulin and had to inject himself everyday.  

On 2010, my father had hypoglycemia and very low blood pressure. He was diagnosed of Liver Cirrhosis after doing colonoscopy and endoscopy tests. After which the doctor found out that he has internal bleeding caused by the esophageal varices.  He stayed in the hospital for a week as he had to undergo blood transfusion. The doctor has prescribed him 4 additional medicines to take for maintenance.  The doctor had instructed my father to visit him every 6 months for another series of tests which my father did not do as he said he was feeling okay.

On February 2013, my mother observed some changes happening to my father. He lost his appetite.  He is beginning to have water retention on his leg and feet.  His eyes were yellow.  His blood sugar was uncontrollable.  He was feeling pains in his stomach, particularly on the liver area.  The family have been encouraging him to see the doctor but he hesitated. On March 7, 2013, he was brought to the hospital.  The next day, the doctor told my mother and siblings that my father is now on Stage IV of liver cancer.  We were shocked... We became silent, cried and worried.  The doctor asked us to decide whether my father will undergo treatment or not.  He explained that he may live for another 6 months with chemotherapy, 9 months with chemotherapy with radiation but if he will not go for treatment, he may live for a maximum of 2 months.  Wow, it was a really a difficult decision then... Our family have weighed the advantages and disadvantages of chemotherapy for our father who is a diabetic.  We thought that his body will not be able to bear the pain of treatment anymore.  We were also sure that he wouldn't like it anyway.  So we have decided not to go for further treatment.  The decision was hard but it is the only way to alleviate our father's pain.

After his hospitalization, we brought him home.  We did not tell him of his condition because as his children, we know that he will not be able to accept and might decline to take his insulin, medicines and food.  He may get depressed.  So what we decided was just to tell him that he has a liver damage due to his cirrhosis and that the only way for him to feel better is to totally live a healthy and happy life. He was weak, delirious, confused, yellowish and coughing.  Just by looking at him physically made us realize that he may leave us anytime.  We spent a lot of time with him. I myself, who is working abroad, went home for 45 days to take care of him.  I just thought that it would make me feel better if I will spend time with him while he is still alive.

Well, apparently, he became better and better each day.  We didn't really expect that he would look better as compared to the time he was discharged from the hospital.  Though he doesn't have that much appetite but he tried to eat so he will have energy.  We gave him a lot of fruits and veges, most especially "guyabano fruit" or graviola which a lot of people say stops the cancer cells to reproduce. We also gave him Alkaline water instead of the normal drinking water as there were several people whom we know were cured of cancer because of Alkaline water.  These was my father's diet and he became better and better.  No ascities, seldom pains, he walks up and down the stairs... He was actually stronger than we expected. In fact, my parents just celebrated their golden wedding anniversary last June 2013.  In fact, i promised him i would get home by October to celebrate his 73rd birthday.  He was actually super excited on his birthday because i will be home...

Today was a sad news :(  Since I am far away, i couldn't help but to worry.  My sister said my father has been rushed to the hospital because he cannot prolong the pain, his blood pressure went down to 60/40, his blood sugar was 300+ and he was vomiting.  This was so sudden... I do not really know what to do now... I am confused, crying, and worried...  If only I can produce my plane ticket now, i would go home and see him.  I hope he will be okay. It hurts to know that my father is at the moment suffering from severe pains... if only I can get a share of his pains so he wont suffer that much.  

Please join me in my prayers and ask Father God to be with my Papa in this time.  May HE touch and calm him and restore his health. May HE prolong my father's life and keep my mother and the entire family strong.

Thanks to all your posts...  It helped me in a lot of ways.  God bless.
I'm not sure if any of you will see this for its been years since the original post. You all touched my heart. I lost my grandmother last year and was with her when she passed. She had liver failure. A year prior to her death she started having bouts of confusion. Near the end it was a matter of wishing she'd go to end her suffering. She was ready and waiting day in and day out for death to come, I just can't imagine. It lasted for a few weeks after we thought it was the end so you just never know.
Hi my name Tricia. My mom found out she has Cirrhosis of the liver( january this year)
( she stopped drinking ) from years of Alcohol she is 67 years old.. Her Stomach started filling up and they kept putting her on meds to help.. well May 23 2013 she ended up in ER and ICU and was put in a coma.. she had a hard time responding. She went into a nursing home and then ended up coming out and going home .. they took pint after pint of fluid out of her and banded her Esaphogus ( sp) 5 bands from throwing up blood.. She has not filled up with fluid for almost a month and has no blood.. I live about 1300 miles away but just got back from seeing her..mid June she ended up back in er with confusion, just out of it and went back to nursing home.. in early July when I got there she was doing so good,, eating, sleeping, joking , talking, alert , walking .Then about 3 days later she was getting confused and after she went home she is was disorineted, confused, cant feed herself at all ( with silverware) very shaky, just sorta stares off, wanders in nights.. her latest blood work came back as low platlettes, low protein , high Billium.. Her liver was not inflammed, no jaundice, kidneys good, red cells good, white ones low Ammonia normal it was so sad to watch her go down hill so fast.. I am here so that I can learn and discuss with others what she is going through.. I think I know almost everything about end of stage liver by now from internet.. I am trying to find answers through her doctor why no one has mentioned a transplant.. her tests dont seem that bad at all but she is so out of it and cant feed herself anymore I just dont get it.. 4 years ago she went into ER bleeding in her stomach but said it was the lining thinning and it was acid reflex.. ( I think they should of checked her liver then) Thank you for welcoming me and any thought are appreciated
In the summer of 2012 my long time friend was diagnosed with cirrhosis. My friend lives in Denver and I live in Maryland. I flew out to see him and he looked terrible. He was yellow, thin with a bloated belly, bled easily and couldn't write as well as he once could. I started reading a ton about end stage liver disease. It's so hard to realize that someone you have known your whole life and cared about had been drinking themselves to death. He seemed stable for a year, it's hard to tell being so far apart. He's been unable to work and has had to file for Medicaid and disability. We have children the same ages 10 and 7. He, his wife, his parents and his sister seem to be in complete denial of the rapid progression of this disease. He is rapidly loosing weight and unable to eat. He is in a great deal of pain and has difficulty walking and he can't sleep at night. I called this morning and his wife answered the phone and said he was "unable to talk".   I was scared thinking he was in a coma from HE. I could hear him in the background and guess he is just not able to cognate well.  I really cant believe he has made it this far. It's been over a year. I can't imagine it will be much longer. So glad I  have found this webpage and am finding comfort in the writings of others.

my sister kimberly age 45 died last week after having all th sam exact end.I am so sorry her funeral is july 29th she stoppes drinking for 6 years but went to the hospital sick and would come out pretty much ok we had hope for a transplant but her doctor behind our back was neglagant and towards the end talked about getting sued ,he was not pro.I just want to ring his neck but i am to sad.I can and can't belive my sister was told 6 months and lived 6 years and passed the same way.she went peacefully and aware after being confused and said she was happy and comfortable moments before passing.God bless her and yours.It hurts so bad but the suffering is over she has a 10 year old son who never met his father because his father died in a car accident before my sister even knew she was pregnant.he never knew he had a son on the way.now my nephew who I love and help take care of has no father or mother.he is very well cared for but my parents are 67 and 68 and I'm 31a single fatheer to top it off.god has been helping and i am thankful.i am going to cry so hard at the funeral as wel as everyone, she and her husband were such good people.TO TOP IT OFF MY CAR WAS STOLEN AND CRASHED THE SAME DAY AND I CAN'T DRIVE MY SON TO CAMP.MY EMAIL IS ***@****
    I totally agree and had it all taken care of about 6 years ago. I also have my other arrangements taken care of ,I just told my husband what I wanted and he took care of the rest.                    cat33
"I kept buying the booze. It is as if I killed her. I should have done more. She doesn't know yet but she feels it. We see the doctor tomorrow"

Hi Marty.  I wanted to comment on your post by saying, in no way is you buying her booze  anything near "you killed her".  I would think that you made the last years of her life happy by not forcing or demanding she quit drinking since she clearly liked it.  

My brother has been in the hospital 3 times since June. Has paracentesis once a week, has had bleeding esophageal varices and now has had one bout of hepatic encephalopathy and is now on lactulose. He is also diabetic so kidneys are also an issue. He is unable to get out of bed by himself and can only take few steps. Eyes are a bit jaundiced and also has skin issues. All this in 2 months. I know drs can't predict time but I would like to have some idea from experience of others what may be his time left here.
Thank you to everyone that has posted. I understood every single one of them .My Brother was diagnosed with Cirrhosis last year ( 2012 ) his first fluid tap was November 2012 each time it was 1 then next month it went to 3 next mo after that it was 4 to 5. He'd feel much better getting the fluid removed he could breath better. He' then take his dog to the lake for a swim,  then soon any activity would exhaust him. By this time it is May he tried to work and was so weak he couldnt my nephew had to help him and told him he cant work any longer which he was in denial. He then kept going into the hospital to get fluids removed. By June he started going down hill and fast. He went from getting the fluid drained to then having high ammonia levels and blacking out, falling, and being disoriented. They treated him with Laculous 3 X's a day so his body wouldnt become toxic since his liver couldnt filter and clean the blood any longer the laculous makes the person constantly go to the bathroon, diarrhea is not fun but works to get the toxins out and ammonia.If the ammonia gets in the blood it can cause ( Ceph ) which is a high level of ammonia in the body it will go to their brain and cause a coma. That happened to my brother in July he went into a coma. All of our family drove from other States to be there for him. Most ppl dont wake up from comas they just go into one and eventually die .My brother came out of his coma after 3 days. We thought he would recover but what we didnt know is liver cirrhosis is irreversible, I know God brought him out of his coma woke him up so all his family could spend time with him, tell him how much we love him and say our good byes.The week I spend with him in the hospital I held his hand, we took pictures as I knew one day I would keep going back to those treasured pictures of my brothers last days. He kept his sense of humor threw the whole ordeal. His arms were bruised, they had a line in his neck for medicines, gave him blood plasma, constantly doing testing, draining fluid, it goes on...Im sure most of you know what I am talking about seems as every person with cirrhosis goes threw the same agonizing hell. It hard to watch, My brother went from a good looking 57 yr old, outdoor activist, to a thin frail man with a battered body. He was so tired he slept alot was in and out hard to wake him up. He lost his voice, developed sores in his mouth, ulcers, bleeding, yellowing eyes, ( Thats when I knew he was at the end ) when I saw his eyes it scared me, I felt horrible for my brother and there was nothing I could do but watch him slowly die a horrible horrible agonizing painful death. All of August he was in the hospital each day getting worse him sleeping a lot, couldn't eat or drink. We fed him ice chips his poor mouth was so dry his tongue would stick to his mouth. At the end around August 24 on a Sat. he told my sister he didnt want to die in a hospital so hospice got things in order for him he went home that Sat, as the Dr's told him they couldnt do anything more, Sunday, at home he slept a lot and would wake up for about 5 mins at a time if that to talk to family then drift back into a sleep his kidneys were shutting down. My sister giving him morphine to ease his pain, His eyes started to open with a stare we knew he was close. He slipped into a sleep. took his last breath quietly and then all his pain was gone, he went home to be with The Lord.  Got that early monday morning call at 3:00 AM That my brother passed away. I will never be the same and the pain & sorrow hurts so bad I can't even function some days I break down and cry.
This liver disease affected every part of his body. When the liver cant function any longer, all the rest of the organs follow. His heart was last. He had a strong heart. RIP my brother, I love you so much. I will see you in heaven one day. My heart goes out to everyone of you, keep praying and ask God to help your loved one and you. We all have the same experiences and pain that will never go away. God bless you and thoughts and prayers and many hugs to all of you. I am truly sorry for all your losses,

Hello all.
My sister passed away May 11, 2013 of the same condition.  It was an agonizing 3 weeks in the hospital for her.  The doctors said she might get a new liver and so they ran every body test they could and came up with that she had breast cancer and so couldn't give her one.  I offered a lobe of my liver and to be a live donor and they never took me seriously.  In fact she was hospitalized at a reknowned institution where they do  not do this type of procedure.  I only learned that a few days before she passed and was devastated.
So to anyone who has this condition or that of a loved one, PLEASE seek help early on in the process to get on a liver transplant list and pursue that avenue before end stage liver failure.  The body shuts down very quickly w/o a liver functioning and it is a sad sad situation for all concerned to go through.
Best to everyone and as a poster, I belive Nighthawk61 wrote in one of the forums (which I find so inspirational):  
"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
Wow, your story hit close to home.  In March / April of this year, my mom started complaining about Thrush and not being able to keep anything down.  My mom is my world and she is NOT an alcoholic nor is she a drinker.  However, after her doctor gave her antibotics for about 6 weeks, I demanded that he take a look at her stomach.  The ultrasound was performed on a Wednesday.  The lab requested she return on Friday for an MRI.  Friday afternoon the lab requested that she see her doctor on Monday.  On Monday the doctor requested that she be admitted to the hospital for a biopsy -- high suspicion of Cancer.  She was admitted on Tuesday, Wednesday morning (7:30 a.m. with no other relatives present) oncologist told my mom she had cancer with 4-7 months to live without chemo, and possibly a year with chemoembolization.  My mother opted for the chemoembolization.  On 5/22 the procedure was done with a concentration on the left side of the liver and a promise to my mom to perform the procedure again on 8/22 for tumors found on the right side.  My mom had been diagnosed with Lupus in 1992 (and was seeing doctors every month to ensure that the disease wasn't impacting her vital organs! -- Liver was missed).  Needless to say, she did not react well to the 5/22 Chemoembolization and the doctors refused to do another treatment on 8/22 because she was too weak.  In addition to that it was also noted in August that she had PVT or Portal vein thrombosis.  The Radiologist had observed this during the 5/22 Chemoembolization, but didn't administer any anticoagulants.  He didn't divulge this until August when it was too late to administer.  I admitted her to a cancer hospital in late August out of pure anger and frustration.  At that time her liver was functioning...barely, but enough to have hope that she would regain enough strength for a 2nd Chemoembolization treatment.  Unfortunately 3 weeks later, her liver functioning had deteriorated and the doctor recommended that we no longer attempt additional treatment, Nexavar should not be considered and that Hospice should be our next course of action.  MY MOTHER IS MY WORLD and watching this disease slowly and insidiously take her away from me is killing me.  Because alcohol was not an issue, they believe that either Lupus or Hep C caused the cancer, however we cannot determine where she would have contracted Hep C.  She did have a blood transfusion when she had hysterectomy, but like one other post indicated, once doctors see Hep C in the blood they go think "drugs" or " sexual contact".  Since then its been a battle to find food for her to eat, can eat, will eat and to have doctors address her issues.  The poor woman coughed her head off violently for 6 weeks and after 2 emergency visits (with chest xrays) performed at one hospital...it took the Cancer hospital to note that her lung was compressed due to fluid that required draining.  This has been a pure NIGHTMARE.  I had to tell one oncologist to stop telling her how much time she had left (as that is GOD's job NOT his) and to focus on making her life more comfortable.  KNOW THIS...Doctors are not gods...they are people.  Pay close attention to your loved one's reactions to drugs, body changes, breathing and lifestyle.  In 6 months my life has gone to Hell in a hand basket.  I write this to find some relief for myself and to tell others that God still sits on the thrown!!  My mother is somewhat comfortable but she knows what is going on.  He refuses to speak to Hospice and I have told her that we will let that be her decision.  She has to get through this at her own pace.  I can be shopping for hot dogs at the supermarket and just begin crying like a baby.  The poor folks in the supermarket look so puzzled, but I try to be strong fer her.  I pray to God for a miracle every day, but I also pray for his mercy.  Thank you for your patience and prayers.  I pray for a cure to this disease as it is horrible!

After years of drinking and several unsuccessful spells in rehab, my brother died aged 42. I spoke with him on the Tuesday and my wife spoke with him on the Wednesday. Nobody heard from him after that. On the sunday I went to his because I hadn't heard from him. I got the police to break down the door and I found him in bed. Post mortem says he died from liver failure. There was no alcohol in his system. My question is this: would he have felt it, would the final days have been spent in agonising pain? Anyone know? I know it doesn't matter now, but i'd like to know.

Thank you

My daughter has liver disease from alcohol. She found out two years ago. Did she stop drinking yes and no. Found out she was drinking something called Kombuche and didn't know it had alcohol. I went with her to er yesterday. Yellow bloated with no insurance they wouldn't help her but I know it won't be long. She works everyday as a art teacher for handicapped kids . She is a beautiful happy person who drank socially when she was in her late 20's like 20 year olds do. they don't know why she got chirrosis (cirrhosis) ,She also has sesizures Her Dads family has a history of liver disease. I'm so sad I wish I could do something to change everything. I fear losing her will take my life. I am hoping to  find someway to cope and be strong for her. No insurance no transplant.
jimbo my brother is only 33 he was admitted to the hospital 3 weeks ago, The Drs say end stage liver disease he has the ascites, jaundice, some fluid in his lungs. I am watching him become more lethargic he just sleeps all day, and when he wakes sometimes he is not realistic as to where he is or how sick he is, sometimes combative and other times some what helpless, gone is most of his spunk, Im hoping he is sleeping so much to get better. His blood pressure keeps getting lower and lower today only 45/70. The doctors have told me he will need a liver transplant. In the beginning I thought we could work thru this, but he seems to be getting worse instead of better. I am really getting scared I am going to lose my little brother. I was wondering if you could give me some insight, is this what happened to your brother?
hi mony...my boyfriend (age 29, same as me) passed away on march 24 2013 from alcoholic hepatitis/liver failure. it seems we went through similar hells...i am still struggling with it greatly and blame myself quite a bit, even though my rational mind tells me its not my fault. he was alert and with it until i gave him his first dose of morphine when he started on hospice...all went down hill from there. its almost comforting to know that i'm not the only young person to lose their partner to such a disease...
My husband, age 53, passed away last year in September.  He was in hospital for two months, the last six weeks in a coma.  He had jaundice, ascites, cirrohisis, portal hypertension and in the end his liver and kidneys failed.  It was an agonizing death and I am still haunted by the memories of that time.  He was my husband for 29 years.  I loved him very much.  We have two wonderful children and grandchildren but nothing, nothing could get through to him.  When he finally decided to get help, it was too late for his body.  We miss him every day.
hi, I'm sorry you had to go through this as well.  It's now been 7 months and still feels like yesterday yet a hundred years ago at the same time.  I still wonder if there is something I could have done sooner....if we had gotten to the doctor sooner.....I don't blame him, I'm not mad at him, I hope he is finally at peace after the life he had, but it doesn't mean that I'm not dead inside with him gone.  I miss him more than any words could ever express.   There were signs there way before he ended up in the hospital, probably a year or more and was in the hospital for a week, died in the ICU, but he was coma like for nearly two days....but he knew I was there.  There is a site, YWBB.ORG, it is for young widows in numerous situations.  I lost my fiancé, not husband, but I still consider myself a widow.  It has been a life saver to find the site and find other younger widows as well.
my partner is 54 and has been on the transplant list for 4 years. he is getting drained every 4 days and now needs to have  his lungs drained also
he is having swelling in his feet and legs he started the medicine for his ammonia levels he sleeps all the time is very confused some times I am not sure what to do we live in a small community and the transplant hospital is a 10 hour drive from us I have been talking to them but his blood levels are not showing them how sick he is. we have 5 children between us and one grandson he is very scared as he knows his kids need him still 3 are still under age. I am so scared that he is getting worse and not wanting something to happen to him without calling family to come and see him any advice would be appreciated regarding the end stages of this horrible disease  I have been reading all of your posts they are very touching and scary at the same time  bless all of you
I am in the hospital with my 74 year old dad.  He was diagnosed with cirrhosis back around March.  Tuesday night we (wife, children, grandchildren) called 911 to have him transported to ER and he was very much against it. Leading up to the call he was often out of breath, weak, dillusional, light headed, blurred vision, blood in stool, vomiting, no taste, and without apetite.  He struggled to sleep due to twitching and struggling to stay warm. It is now Saturday night and he requires a respirator to keep him breathing.  He has had two blood transfusions (2 pints each) which have possibly contributed to him now having acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).  He was losing blood due to an ulcer found in his small intestine and it appears that the bleeding has stopped.  He is heavily sedated now with so many tubes hooked to him.   I think that we will lose although we haven't given up hope.  He is under the care of the best in the country.
I am so sad my sister has not confirmed with me her diagnosis, but it involves dialysis and now a possible blood transfusion. She wont tell me what she has except that its a gastro problem. I had not seen her in years but this past August 10, 2013 the day after my birthday, something called for me to just go take a chance and see her and I did. I was in a total state of shock as her eyes were yellowed, belly bloated the once beautiful Brittany spears girl now looked like a dying grandmother and I was devastated and my heart is heavy right now. She lives far from me but I have agreed to take her to some appointments and if need be, the blood transfusion at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. Can anyone tell me, "as she is still drinking booze" how long does she have. She has had this condition for over two years. I am falling into a depression thinking about it everyday. Her cavalier attitude like nothings wrong is killing me. She has a boyfriend who is older but he seems silent or does is not know her current status. My Sister also has another condition all her life she lies and its not helping me to be fibbed to about life and death.
I read your story and my heart aches for you and your wife.  My husband and I have been divorced for a bit over a year now. The main reason why I left was alcohoism.  I beilieve all of us want our loved ones to be happy and that someone it gets messed up and we end up being what they like to call "enablers" but with good intentions.  Please keep in mind that if you didn't purchase it for her, she would have gotten it some other way.   You see, I am going through kind of the same thing.  My ex husband is now in a hospital bed in my front room, diagnosed with "end" stage liver failure six months ago and now he has a tear in his pancreas.  His only sibling committed suicide in the home we shared and raised our boy's in, actually, in our boy's bedroom.  This was in February and my ex was diagnosed in May.His mother is an alcoholic in CO and the rest of his family is elderly in Germany.  His son is in college a couple hours away and we agreed that he needs to continue his education. So, what does a person do?  Anyhow, I guess I'm rambling and venting but I do want you to know that beating yourself up won't help.  I'm one to blame myself too, it's a hard thing to deal with, day by day...stay strong...
I found out a few weeks ago that my mom has been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. She was sent to the hospital when she started throwing up blood and bleeding heavily from the rectum.. My mom has been an alcoholic for many many years, an everyday drinker for at least the past 10 years. Liquor and wine are her choices drinks. Once diagnosed with this disease my mother was instructed by the doctor to no longer drink. This has been a struggle as it has most of her life, she has had several stays in rehab and continues to hide alcohol to this day. Sense her diagnosis her over all health has gone down hill so quick. She no longer gets excited or sad, she is nearly emotionless, very odd for her she is one to wear her heart on her sleeve. Another symptom I have noticed is that she is sleeping all the time, even when she is sitting up watching TV she cannot keep her eyes open for longer than 5 to 10 minutes. She is now sleeping more than she stays awake. She bleeds on the regular, she wakes up daily with a puddle of blood underneath her face coming from her nose, mouth and ears. She has now been ordered not to drive or be left alone for long periods of time without supervision.. My mother is 56 years old. I am not sure how to cope with this. I guess for the longest time I have known that this would be coming because of her alcohol addiction problems, however I didn't think the process would be this painful to experience. How do you prepare to loose your mother? I am so sad that she will miss out on so many wonderful moments of mine and my siblings life, as well as the two grandchildren that love her so dearly. I hope she is able to understand us in these last few moments of life, because I know her time is running limited. I just am so afraid of regret, I want to make sure I tell her everything I can before she goes and let her know how much she is loved and will be missed.
Thank you for listening and I pray for any others and their families out there dealing with this horrible disease.
Julie S
My mom is my Queen, she's my everything. In the year 1990, she had a miscarriage back in Mexico. Her father passed away and the shock overcame her. She lost blood and needed a blood transfusion asap. My uncle, who is an alcoholic,was a match. The hepatitis nightmare began right there and then. In the year 2000 she was diagnosed with Hep A. She never ever drank a drop of alcohol, I feel like she's a victim caught in a situation that was never her doing from the very beginning. When I was 13 the towers fell, at 14 my closest cousin was murdered and at 15 the treatment she started, failed after 4 weeks. We moved out of NYC and decided to try more south. All the struggles and everything my father has obtained was all for her, my mother. In 2010 I almost lost her due to varices rupturing in her esophagus. She now has Hep C and cirrhosis. My whole life has been about her and I love her so much. I have family and loved ones around me but I feel so alone. Just one look at her face and I know what she's thinking. She doesn't want to die. My mom became my daughter and deep down I know she's as scared as I am. All of this feels so unfair and my mind fills with panic. Is this going to hurt her? I feel like I'm about to break.
I came to this website in desperate need for answers or to see if anyone has had the same experience that I have had.

My mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver 6 years ago. She was told she could not drink anymore but never listened to the doctors. I never saw my mother drunk, she had home cooked meals on the table every night, and maintained the household immaculate but she loved to have a glass of wine or rum while she did it.

For years my mother would drink until her eyes got yellow- then stop cold turkey until her eyes cleared up- then returned to drinking.

In 2013 she started to show signs of fluid build up in the stomach. My mom was always overweight and had two pregnancies over the age of 40 so we always thought that she was just a person with a big belly. It wasn't until she became severly jaundiced that we did some research and realized that she had aceties.

She had her first paracentisis in July of 2013 they removed 10 liters of fluid. My mom felt like a brand new person after the procedure. She was out of the hospital a day later. From that moment on everything began to go down hill. My mother stopped drinking and had been sober for about 5 months but i assume it was too late. Over the next four months the paracentesis got close and close together until they were done on a weekly basis. We were in and out of the hospital for the complete four months.
She had spells of encephalopathy where should did not understand anything anyone would say to her, didn't know what year it was, or even her name. She would also get very aggresive (aggressive). She had two blood transfusions, and countless platelets. We were prepping her to be listed on the transplant list and a tumor was found on her liver but doctors were not concerned because it was very small. Just some of the medications she took were: xifaxan, lactulose, midrodine, albumen, lasix, aldactone, protonix, folic acid, rosefen, cipro, bicitra.
She had also developed renal failure, doctors were givng her saline solution to help her kidneys recover to normal function and were discussing the possibility of putting her on dialysis and even placing her on the list as a kidney-liver transplant. The fluid build up in her stomach had gotten into her lungs and she was having difficulty breathing- so while in the hospital they started giving her albuterol through an aerosol machine.

On November 4, 2013 around 3:45am the respitory therapist walked into my mom's hospital room to give her a albuterol treatment (i slept in a cot next to her bed every night.) My mom had- had a good couple of days, walking around, talking, making jokes and in overall good spirits. She was sleeping when the therapist walked in so i woke her up gently to let her know they were here to give her the aerosol. She told me she had to go pee, but that she would wait till after the treatment. She then asked me for a glass of water with ice, i gave it to her through a straw like i always did and laid back in the cot to wait for the aerosol to be done. The next thing i know my mother is having a seizure (she is not epileptic, and has NEVER had a seizure.) I ran out of the room screaming for the nurses... next thing i know a code blue is being called (after spending so much time in hospitals you know that- that means her heart has stopped.) An ICU doctor came out and told me that they suspected some upper GI bleeding and they were going to mover her to surgical ICU and probably have to do an edoscopy to stop the bleeding.
Once in the ICU waiting room I kept hearing the code blue alarms going off and knew it was my mom. About an hour later the same ICU doctor came out and explained that she had "coded" three more times in ICU and everytime they bring her back it is very traumatic for her body. He described it as having a doctor jumping on her chest. He explained to me and my family (who had driven over there) that he did not know how long they could do this. My father asked if he could go in and see her and minutes later my father emerged from ICU sobbing telling us that she didn't make it.

My mother was 56 years old, she left behind 4 children ages 27, 24, 16, and 14 and a husband of 37 years.

We never had an autopsy performed because we didn't want them to cut up her body. I want answeres... I have reserached my brain out and cannot find what would have caused my mother to have a seizure and die. Doctors at the hosptial cannot give me an answer other than "she was very sick." I understand that my mother was very sick but i want to know what tipped her over the edge.... she had been in much worse conditions than that night. She seemed to be doing so much better....

Has this happened to anyone? I need answers...
My husband of 49 years has cirrhosis.  In January he has problems with his ammonia level being so high it was effecting his brain.  He was already taking medicine for high ammonia levels and the doctors wanted to increase it but he started drinking Garatode Aid and within a week his confusion, memory, shaking, improved and has been good since them.  The doctors do not know why but told him to keep drinking it.  Even though that has helped that has help with the ammonia problem he know has a bad acities problem, losing his muscle mass, many days so tired that he sleeps a lot.  It is very hard to watch my greaser and touch guy from the 50's slowly deteriorate.  Blessed everyone dealing with this liver disease.
It has been 3 months since my dad passed away from cirrhosis of the liver. He never drank,smoked,or done drugs in his lifetime. My dad simply worked his self to death. My dad was an on the road sales man for 30 yrs and ate nothing but fast foods this in return gave him a fatty liver and made scar tissue. I had hoped that there was going to be a turn around in his situation. The doctors at Barnes hospital in St.Louis Missouri were hopeful as well but MAN can only do so much. I felt as if everyone gave up on him and it was just a short time that we had word he was needing rehab to regain strength to WELL.... nevermind he needs to go home and DIE. I was so angry at the doctors and broken inside because my dad didnt want to give up !!! he wanted to fight this. He thought he was going to get a transplant !!!! when all the sudden the doctors decided he was no longer a candidate!!! all that time he spent preparing for this transplant and everything our family went through I fell was a waste of our time we couldve spent that time with our dad but my grieving has caused so much bitterness to these doctors and even family members. It is so hard losing someone you love I fell for each and everyone of you with your lose I pray that there will be more of an awareness to cirrhosis but it simply ignored  
I am new to this site and just came across it by accident whilst looking for some answers and information.  My husband has been a heavy drinker for the past 40 years and refuses to see a doctor with all the symptoms that he is getting.   He has no appitite, is vomiting, loosing weight, has very bad odema in his legs and a swollen stomach.  He gets very agitated and has really bad shakes in his hands and sometimes his legs.  He says there is nothing anyone can do and continues to drink a litre of spirits a day.  I am convinced that he has cirrohsis but it has not been confirmed by the medical profession.  I have no idea how much longer he will live.

If anyone has any information they can part with to help me through this I would be really grateful.
Any persons with questions regarding cirrhosis of a friend or loved one should visit us in MedHelp's "Cirrhosis of the Liver" community.

My mother has been in hospital since 10th December - an alcoholic for the past 15 years, she hasn't been "present" as a person in our lives for many years now. Just a skeletal figure with few emotions, curled up on her chair in a world of her own.

She is dying now - alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis. She also fractured her hip in a fall in the hospital. It has been a long 6 weeks but a tortuous 15 years.

My father is also an alcoholic for 30 years but he swears he's not drinking now. I can't believe a word from either of them. He has suffered heart attacks and strokes and his health is very bad.

My siblings and I have tried to detach from them (as advised by the addiction centre).

I am struggling to deal with the interference from my mother's extended family, who never knew the full horror of having alcoholic parents. To her she is their sister and aunt and she was taken over by the disease of alcoholism. They are taking over, washing her pyjamas, massaging her arms & legs, brushing her hair and putting on make-up. They have put a rota together so she is never alone in the hospital, and in the process they have locked us out of any chance of getting close to her.

We are not allowed to talk about the darker side of her life or how her alcoholism affected us. She doesn't seem to notice whether we visit or not. It is implied by them that we didn't do enough for her when she was drinking and we're not doing enough now. My uncle said we should be brushing her hair. But we all work and we have small children and we're doing our best. Anyway, she kept us at arms length for the past 10 years because she saw us as The Enemy - watching her drinking.

She rejected me, my sister & brother & her 3 grandchildren. She is 64 years old and could have had many great years ahead of her.

I am so angry, sad, disappointed, but mostly tired. It's been a long struggle.

She is skeletal, with jaundice, encephalopathy, ascites with infection, oedema, and a broken hip.
The doctors have given the usual time frame - 50% chance of living 6 months but most patients only live 2 or 3 apparently. It's been nearly 7 weeks since she was hospitalised. They're trying to get the ascites and infection under control so she can go home but it's not working. They reckon if/when she does go home the infection will worsen and she'll have to come back. Or pneumonia or a hospital bug might get to her.

Not sure if I can stay on this particular roller coaster for much longer. I can empathise with many of the posts above and I hope my experiences with my mother will help me to help other families of alcoholics some day.

So sorry to hear about your situation, hoping you are still on this site. I am going through something similar. How could I be so blind? My boyfriend of 4+ yrs. Started to turn yellow I just didn't say anything (I've been through this 2x before and I am also an alcoholic. He has gone to meetings w/ me and I have NEVER seen him drunk or falling over, hiding bottles, getting sick, etc. That was my thing. He never had to go to treatment or that stuff...me (20 yrs. younger...treatment 8x in 9yrs).

He was fine Jan. 13, 2014 and then he fell in the bathroom and he's twice the size of me together, I was not strong enough to get him up, so I called 911, 3 cop cars, firetruck and EMT's came to get him. He was moved to an Extended Care Facility, 1mi. from the house so I am there 2-3x aday, plus I take care of his nearly 90yr old mother; just great for my 36th year of life.  I am so angry and confused w/ God, is he trying to show me a lesson?  

I lost my dad on the 19th of January 2014 .....It was to say the least the worst day of my life ever . He was 59 too young at it was to do with liver CIRROSS and heart i begged him to stop the drink but i never knew he had a liver problem never saw it coming at all , i knew he had heart problems and a hernia which grew to a hugesize and depression but never knew the liver was failing .Five years ago we went to the hospital and the doctor said thier were no issues i couldnt belive it as i knew my dad loved his drink i can oly think in the last five years he hammred it . He became bed bound but still found a way for it to come in via carere and neigbours i refused to but accepted that he can drink the worst part of this is he brought me up on his own when i was 5 years old in the 80s he got custody of me and being a man and a man of colour this was unherad of. As his only son we had ups and downs i am now 35 and my world is torn apart by his death and that i never saw that coming . i saw the decline that drinks does he became more reclusive but was lonley and happy and crying . He didnt want to take care of himself and let himself go - he had a carer who came in which was a relationship that my dad had a strong bond for obvious reasons but i would do what i could do as get him what he wanted as in clothes , furntiure gave him money every month whuch one thing i knew never went on drink as he knew i had worked hard for it . i would stay with him time to time but i guess i was in denial as sometimes i ffound it depressing . He drank due to a failed marriage a daughter being adopted and when we got in conatct she wanted nothing to do with him even though our mother left us in a hospitial when were 4 and 5 yerals old yet he was the bad guy ........well if he was so bad why did he bring me up and he tried to get custody of her which is another storey . Than my dads mum died 2008 that was the big hit and a impending court case due to nusience calls due to him being lonley. He drank and drank but he was a good man i wouldnt be here if it was not for him . he has the best sense of humour and was kind but the drink did make him angry and than i knew how to deal with it . The last two years we made peace and i did as much as i could but it was becoming hard last year he called the ambulance 150 times sometimes genuine sometimes not and i would speak to them and go down sometimes speak to them and not go down . Well on the 18th of Jan we spoke during the day he was sober and i said i will be around on the Sunday as i was tired from work on the Saturday he was fine and happy and the care worker confirmed this by the evening he called ans said "come just come over " i was like whats wrong tell me just tell me phine went dead ,called him back no answer he was sleeping alot so i thought nothing of it . The same night 11.45pm the ambulance call me of his mobile and say his blood pressure is very low to low .I begged him to go to hosptial and if he did go i would come as he always avoided going but he usually did this he sounded slurred speech . i was than told wait for the night doctor to call and i did and she said she would come out tomorrow i said fine and thought nothing more but my partner wanted to go down she had a feeling .The next morning as he would call me early but this was to early like 7am a bit early than usually again the phone was vibrating but in ever heard it my partner did i looked at the phone and thoght dad is fine but just calling to find out when i am coming .........obviously 2 hrs foward he died and that guilt will stay with me till i die ..................i feel lost as i was his only family and he was mine. No others but i hope he forgives me and i wanted to thank him for bringing me up but the drink took him away with the problems of life - i am not going down that route as i want to make it worth it that his years bringing me up are worth it . thanks dad i can never repay you ever . i never was going to stop him but i wish i was aware but he would have kept it quiet from me . its a big loss a very big loss but i look forward to seeing him on the other side all these feelings in life are for a reason .He could be difficult but i understand he just wanted the attention and the love and he had character . He died in a sunday a christian/catholic day and we buried him on a Friday a holy muslim day this is how i knew him he was open minded and fond of all religions but one evil thing was that drink ....................................................for ever missed and my life is never the same with out him.x thanks for reading this
I am so sorry...Im sure by now you have lost your wife.  I am on here trying to seek peace and comfort.  I just lost my fiancé 3 weeks ago.  He was a long time heavy drinker, a fifth of vodka plus for years.  We lived together for a year, prior to that he lived 3 hrs away.  But I noticed the deterioration in his health over the year, he had bleeding ulcers from previous gastric bypass,that he was hospitalized for.  Never did any of the drs relay how serious his liver damage was til this January, and by that time it was end stage.  I too bought alcohol, and feel like I am to blame , but he was a self admitted manipulator when it came to alcohol.  This last visit he was in a little over a week, developed ascites so bad, he gained 30 lbs, also metabolic encephalopathy, he slept constantly and was confused at times.  He also developed bilateral pneumonia, and they put him on the vent.  His daughter decided to take him off the next day, she did not want to see him suffer.  I had no real say.  so Im on here for validation that he really wouldn't have survived this crisis.  He only lasted about 40 minutes of the vent, his heart stopped. they had given him morphine.  I was there by his side stroking his head.  I just don't feel like it should've ended up this way.  I would appreciate hearing your story, so I may find some peace that he is indeedin a better place,,
Hi Mine is a little different story, in that, my daughter that is so sick with Cirhosis  of the liver, is Estranged from me & has been for over 30 yrs. She's only called or seen me maybe 30 times in all that time & I wouldn't know her kids, if I saw them.  But it still doesn't stop the pain, hurt, worry & love for your kids, no matter what kind of a past relationship we've had.  When I found out from her, finally, naturally I was sick & scared. But what could I do ?  I don't even know her & her Family ? I don't even feel welcome to go visit & see her ? I've tried over the years to try to patch things up between us, but my kids never forgave me for divorcing their Dad, & its' been a wall between us since, that they would never forget. So I've called her at least once a week since I found out, her Liver is almost 1/2 infected, & now her kidneys are badly infected as is her pancreas.  She is slowly dying . Or maybe is dying faster that I think ?  I don't know ? I only jknow what she tells me. which is that ?  She says she's still driving ? I don't know how she could, if she is so swollen, & has to have lasex draining all the time at the Hospital. She said she couldn't even see her feet ?  I've never been around anyone with this problem so I don't know anything about it ?  Maybe she's telling me the truth ? I don't know. But to me, if she's got problems with her kidneys, pancreas & liver, I would think she would be too weak or sick to be up to driving & going anywhere ? Am I wrong ?  Also do you have Heart problems with this as well ?  If anyone can help me with some answers I would appreciate it ?  Thanks, Mikey
I am so sorry for your loss.  I know how bad it feels.  I just lost my dad two weeks ago.  He was 64. Never drank or smoked.  His eyes just turned yellow and felt tired. His urine became dark.  Went to the hospital and was diagnosed with liver failure.  They did many tests, and all came back negative.  His liver had shrunk, but doctors didn't have any anwers.  We were desperately trying for a transplant, but all of his organs started to fail.  We have no answers as to what caused his liver to fail.  We are empty because we have lost such a great man.  I know he is now an angel, but I want him here with me.  I miss you so much papi.  
I was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis (psc) in 1999. Then in 2001, my doctor told me I had precancerous polyps in my colon and either my colon would have to be removed or I would not be a candidate for a liver transplant. So out came the colon. Since then my health has been pretty good. The liver disease had not progressed very much and I was able to live out my life normally, retired from my engineering career and have done some writing (5 books and newspaper columns for 10 area newspapers). However things have changed. My liver disease is starting to get worse and I’ve been moved up on the transplant list. I’m 71 years old. My question is this. Should I proceed with a transplant or just let nature take its course. I’ve had a full life and can deal with death, but I still have a few things I’d like to accomplish. Also, I’m a little concerned about the amount of pain involved in letting my diseased liver take me out. One consideration is that it’s been 15 years since my diagnosis and I’ve lived well during that time. Maybe it will be another 10 years or so before my liver kills me. Is it worth worrying about at my age? If I get really sick on the verge of death, how much care will my wife have to give me. If I have the transplant, how much care will my wife have to give me? Which is easier on her?
Kristy_lee

My thought's are with you.  My father had cirossis of the liver and was in the hospital since Jan 22/14.  He was told then his liver was capute, his stomach was so swollen, had 33% kidney function due to scar tissue in the bladder which was a result of radiation for prostrate cancer 3 years previous.  He made the decision to sign a DNR.  I travelled to see him every second day at the hospital, and for the past 2 weeks I basically lived at the hospital as the doctor told me he had 1 to 1 1/2 weeks left.  Dad didn't want to know how much time he had left.  Doctor also told him they had strong medications and he would be medicated and it would be painless.  He passed away yesterday morning after being awake 1230 am to 530 am, even with medication for pain and to relax him every 20 min, but he wouldn't give in to go to sleep.  Was aware.  He said he loved me.  That it wasn't to be like this.  He too vomited the same type at 3 am.  When I and nurses tried to clean him and put new bedding on bed he said please dont touch me don't hurt me.  To hear that and know he was aware broke my heart.  He fought the medication and wouldn't fall asleep.  At 530 he went to sleep and passed away at 730 am.  It breaks my heart that he was in pain, and knowing he suffered during his last hours.  He was 72.  We weren't close but I'm an only child and I didn't think this would bother me.  But staying with him and being there we grew closer, and it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I would never wish this disease on anyone and I and my 2 children didn't have the father/grandfather that most do because of his drinking.  
My mother's drinking has caused her seizures for years.  Thank you for sharing.  I am dealing with her Acute liver failure and your information has helped me to better understand what I am dealing with now.  
I'm wondering how your husband is doing my mother has be battling the same thing now for three years. She fell a couple times and the last fall she broke her arm in 4 places. She was in the hospital for a week and her kidney and liver have almost shut down they won't give us any answers as to what to expect....very frustrating
yea, call 911
My father in laws liver is failing..how long does he have to live?

He is 63 years old and has been an alcoholic his whole life. He went into the hospital May 22nd. Two weeks prior he had quit drinking, and started having trouble using the bathroom and walking. Months before that he started lost his appetite. He found out he had acities, and they drained several gallons of fluid from his abdomen during his three day stay. They did an ultrasound and told him that he had mild cirrhosis, but that the liver could still come back. They set him up with a liver specialist and medication. He also has to go back in every few days to have fluid drained. Yesterday he went to see the liver specialist who told him that the cirrhosis is worse than they originally thought. They told him that he is going to die.

My fiancé and I are getting married on June 26th, and our biggest fear is him dying and not being able to see us get married. It means everything to my fiancé that he is there for our wedding. I'm afraid of him dying within the next few weeks, and my fiancé being too devastated to be happy on what's supposed to be our happiest day.
As I write this, my 43 year-old brother is at the rehabilitation center dying from cirrhosis of the liver. He had back surgery 3 years ago and took high doses of pain killer. About a year and a half ago (I learned recently) he was diagnosed with a fatty liver and told to have a biopsy which he kept putting off. Last summer, he started falling a lot and having trouble with his balance. He attributed it to his back surgery issues. He began drinking whiskey for the pain, he said.In March 2014, he fell on the ice, hit his head, and had several bruises that took awhile to heal. In April 2014, he went to his doctor because he was having problems with his legs and abdomen swelling. We heard the diagnosis of cirrhosis of the liver then. He stayed in the hospital for about a week and was discharged. At that time, his amonia (ammonia) levels were high and his speech was slurred. He went home, did not take his medicines and did not eat right. He started falling, and it took four people to get him up. Finally, my brother-in-law called an ambulance. The local county hospital did a CT scan and found a brain bleed which was apparently from his fall in March. He was admitted to the Surgical ICU unit at the larger hospital two counties away. He stayed there for about a week and a half until he was discharged to a rehabilitation center near that hospital. His brain bleed dissolved on its own, but he began sleeping too much to suit the people at the rehab center, so he was returned to the larger hospital, given blood, and treated for his ulcers. Then he was moved to a rehabilitation center closer to home where he seemed to be doing better. In fact about 2 weeks ago, he was up and walking with assistance and had begun to play cards and socialize with the other patients. One day later, he was taken back to the larger hospital because his kidneys had not produced urine for 24 hours. They began dialysis. Today is June 30, 2014. Last Monday was his last dialysis treatment. On Wednesday, he was told that he was not eligible for a liver transplant and that his kidneys were failing. His blood was not clotting well enough for them to insert a more permanent port for the dialysis. He was sent home to the local rehabilitation center on Comfort Care. It has been 7 days since his dialysis. Today, his complexion is very yellow, his abdomen is more distended, he has very little output, he isn't eating well, fluid is seeping out of his pores, and he is very tired and sleeps a lot. I feel he has just a few more days.
As I write this, my 43 year-old brother is at the rehabilitation center dying from cirrhosis of the liver. He had back surgery 3 years ago and took high doses of pain killer. About a year and a half ago (I learned recently) he was diagnosed with a fatty liver and told to have a biopsy which he kept putting off. Last summer, he started falling a lot and having trouble with his balance. He attributed it to his back surgery issues. He began drinking whiskey for the pain, he said.In March 2014, he fell on the ice, hit his head, and had several bruises that took awhile to heal. In April 2014, he went to his doctor because he was having problems with his legs and abdomen swelling. We heard the diagnosis of cirrhosis of the liver then. He stayed in the hospital for about a week and was discharged. At that time, his amonia (ammonia) levels were high and his speech was slurred. He went home, did not take his medicines and did not eat right. He started falling, and it took four people to get him up. Finally, my brother-in-law called an ambulance. The local county hospital did a CT scan and found a brain bleed which was apparently from his fall in March. He was admitted to the Surgical ICU unit at the larger hospital two counties away. He stayed there for about a week and a half until he was discharged to a rehabilitation center near that hospital. His brain bleed dissolved on its own, but he began sleeping too much to suit the people at the rehab center, so he was returned to the larger hospital, given blood, and treated for his ulcers. Then he was moved to a rehabilitation center closer to home where he seemed to be doing better. In fact about 2 weeks ago, he was up and walking with assistance and had begun to play cards and socialize with the other patients. One day later, he was taken back to the larger hospital because his kidneys had not produced urine for 24 hours. They began dialysis. Today is June 30, 2014. Last Monday was his last dialysis treatment. On Wednesday, he was told that he was not eligible for a liver transplant and that his kidneys were failing. His blood was not clotting well enough for them to insert a more permanent port for the dialysis. He was sent home to the local rehabilitation center on Comfort Care. It has been 7 days since his dialysis. Today, his complexion is very yellow, his abdomen is more distended, he has very little output, he isn't eating well, fluid is seeping out of his pores, and he is very tired and sleeps a lot. His breathing is labored, and his eyes keep rolling back in his head when he isn't staring at the ceiling. I feel he has just a few more days.
My Brother is so ill, Liver is not letting Kidneys work, HEP C, so full of liquids, bloted, Has been in and out of hospitals, they took him by abamluance to A very good hospital that kept him for awhie and sent him home. My Siser in law will not give persimision for doctors to tell us anything. he sat up yesterday, had his bath, we kept him awake, days and night mixed up, Today, he can not get out of bed, no out-put for at least 2 days, just sleeping now on and off before. OH Lord, ok,he needs help with everything. I know his wife is so afraid, so am I he is only 57, I want to go over and she said no it is a quite day, I am freaking out, that is my brother. She said he is sleeping and Doctor said to let him sleep then take to have blood work to see levels, Shoud I get our oldest brother and just go over to see should I just go see myself? Some one please tll me what to do. Is this the end, not healthy enough for even the shunt, he is light yellow, I love him so much I want to respect their wishes but I can not let him lay in bed and kidneys shut down and do nothing. What do I do? 7/5/14 2:18pm
I am so sorry about your mother. She is a sick women who is either in denial about her addiction or has thrown in the towel. She sounds like her disease is well progressed and may not turn around whether she quits drinking or not. However, if she does stop soon she may buy herself some time. It doesn't sound like she is interested.
My brother passed from cirrhosis just a few weeks ago. It is a long, painful and horrific death. He was a heavy drinker his whole life, but was unable to stop. Not that he tried hard. He couldn't put the glass down. He knew no other way of life. Best guy in the world. Successful, amazing wife and kids, nice man all around. He was just a chronic alcoholic.

Watching someone you love slowly commit suicide is an awful thing to observe. Not only is the person physically sick, but emotionally sick as well.

I will pray for you and your mother. If she is exhibiting signs of jaundice and edema she is well on her way and will not be able to halt the disease.

Fear keeps your mother from putting down the drink. I know this because I am a recovering alcoholic myself. Your mother is a nurse so she should know better, right? My AA group ranges from doctors, lawyers,etc. This disease does not discriminate. Intellect and common sense go right out the window for the addict if they are not willing or ready to get healthy.

I hope your mom gets some help. Even if just to help relieve the emotional pain. Remember, this has nothing to do with you. This is your mother's path and she is fully responsible for the result.

My love goes out to you both. The journey is not an easy one.
Oh dear Jennie,
I am so sorry about your brother. Clearly your sister in law is devastated but that does not give her the right to deny you time with your sibling. You have a right and a need to spend some time with your brother. It will aid your healing. Having just lost my brother in the last month, I know the importance of this alone time. It is sacred and essential for your emotional health.
Be persistent with your sister in law. She is not the only one hurting. I pray for you that she listens to you and respects your human need to spend a last few moments with the person you have known and loved your entire life.
God Bless You!
My father is suffering from Liver Cirrhosis and we came to know about this almost three years back. Infact, he had suffered a minor heart attack in 2011 and after Angiography he remained unconcious for three days. During further check ups at the hospital, doctors told us that he is also suffering from Liver Cirrhossis.

He was on strict diet contol and medications since then. Last year doctors carried out 3D MRI scan and observed Tumour in the liver. They immediately operated the same. However, during later scan six months down the line, they observed multiple tumours and informed us of HCC (Hepatocellular Carninoma with Cirrhosis). His condition has however worsened in the last six months and he cannot stand or walk on his own. His stomach has swollen and needs regular visit to hospital to drain off the fluid.
He is very confused and cannot express his thoughts because of loss of words. The skin color has turned black / Yellow and is in deep pain. The sleep patterns have also changed as he is now awake during the whole night and sleeps in the early morning. During entire night, he speaks something which we can't really understand. He is also not able to communicate the need to go to the toilet and everything happens on bed and that too very suddenly.

Very sad to hear from the Doctor during my visit two days ago that he has less than one month to live, infact only a couple of days. Was going throgh threads on internet and came through these posts and thought to share our sorrow.

The worst part being that my father was completely Non alcoholic and remained Vegetarian through out his life. Has not been diagnosed with Heb B or C and yet fell for this deadly disease. We even do not know the reasons of falling to this disease.

These last days are very painful for him and we really wish that his pains are reduced during these last days. Request people in this forum who have similar experience with the near and dear ones to pray for him.

Vikas Arora
My husband also was diagnosed 2 years ago with cirrhosis of the liver from psc.  I have read that 75%  of people with ulcerative collitis will develop psc.  I also have read that many medications he has taken for the past 25 years may  contribute to liver disease.  He made the transplant list in May with a score of 16 at the age of  67 after an episode of ascites.  This man was very physical and hard working all his life.  He never smoked or drank.  This past 5 months he has deteriorated to the point he is exhausted after about 20 minutes of simple activity.  He is sleeping more, eating less and lost so much muscle he now looks like  skin and bones.  This is extremely sad and very hard to accept that a person can go from a picture of health to a person that shakes and appears in a daze most of the day.  We both wonder how much he will have to bare or if he will every receive an organ.  I would just like to encourage people to realize how fragile life is and to recognize if you have your health you can do anything but without it you may be only a blink of the eye away from death.  I hope more people will also recognize how great a gift they can give by donating organs so others may have life.  I pray an organ will come in time for my husband or others in need.  Much love to all.
Im a caregiver to my brother Dean,Who has ESLD I've been caring for him since Febuary of 2014'.My name is Wanda I'm 52,my brother is a very loving person,I've seen things from this disease I hope to never see again in a loveone as long as I live, Dean as suffered and continues to suffer as I type this,he was diagnosed 2009' HepC,so bad they gave him TIPS Procedure 2009,it has kept him alive but with so much bodily harm to him,constant ammonia high,fluid bluid up,He came to me after his wife of 25 yrs said she couldn't do it,take care of him,I called our mother she said no.I stood there for  a moment and said yes I can do this,at this time he had been in the hospital for 1 month and still in there from ESLD,Kidney failur,bacteria in his stomach and diabetic,this was in January,I stood at his bedside and said your coming home with me,he said no he was going home with his wife,that's when the world stood still,when I told him she was seeking a divorce,he looked at me me and said,just what I need to die alone,I said Dean your not dead and your not dying,they can say you are, but watch what your sister can and will do for you.They gave him 2 months that was in  January we are now in July 22,2014.Im his nurse that comes into his room with a tray with nutrientional foods morning,noon and night,I take his blood,give him shots,give him laughs rub his body with coconut and rosemary oil 100%rosemary oil,it helps him breathe,he has been to the hospital 1 time since in my care,from Ascites ,they took 2 liters off his stomach,he is on Protonic 40mg,Lasix 40mgx2,Potassum 20 mg,Zinc220 mg,VitaminE1000 units,Lactolose,30 ml x4.As I mention he is also a diabetic,who receives novo log 6units 3 xs befor meals, levermire night time 10 units.He tells me everyday that I'm his angel,I tell him you my brother,gave me my wings,we laugh at how this disease can kill you,but on the other hand makes you live,even with the disabilities,it brings to you,remember your alive,you can fight,you can love,you can go own with your life,even if they tell you,your time limit,don't believe them it's up to God and you and the love that comes from within,the time I have with my brother is not measured by time,it's is measured with Love.He went to Emory University for a liver transplant work up July7th 2014,We are now waiting for a donor,if Dean would of stay in the hospital,he'd be dead,with my raising hell to let him come home with me,he is alive,and hopefully will live a long full life,I know transplants only last for 1 to 2 years because of the HepC coming back.But let me have my brother alive for as long as possible.I feel for each and everyone that has lost a love one are is going threw this God forbidding disease.My prayers are with each and everyone here..Stay strong,Love Stronger..Peace be with you--Wanda
My Dad is in life support for 24hrs now he had Liver Cirrhosis....He quit drinking alcohol the day after he was diagnosed (may 2013)...Everything works well for one year but it gets worst after his doctor prescribe a medication for TB (RIMSTAR)he has mild tb... he turned yellow and develop ascites just after 1month using that pills (rimstar 3x daily)..i saw him last night true skype...he can hear me but he never reply...they put a tube in his mouth for air...the doctor told me to remove his life support because he wouldnt.make it anways..but i refuse..I saw my Dad tears while looking at me,My heart  Breaks...Now im on my way home flight for 16 hrs..Hoping i can be there before something else happen...I Beiieve In Miracle..With God nothing is Impossible!.God Bless You All
Viewing 201-330 comments: