Grief & Loss Community
Memorializing a Loved One

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

Memorializing a Loved One

Has anyone found keeping a memento of some sort close by which memorialized a loved one help in the grieving process?

ramal
Might sound silly as its about my cat but it helped me to have collection of his pics by my bed.lily
Hey lily

I like it and understand. I think it's great to have something that reminds us of the love.

ramal
with the passing of my daughter, the hospital provided some stuff for us to keep as momentos, but i took the pillow she was laying with, and i carry it everywhere inside my purse. now i have her ashes sitting in my living room, that truly helps me as well.
I can't even look at pictures of my best friend who died. I start to panic
I have my mom's ashes in an urn in our family room. I don't know if it's a permanent place, but it needs to be there for now.
I ahd a m/c at 7 weeks in April 2011 after TTC for 18 months... i kept all my pregnancy tests and the dates, the ap letter for our scan and the photo frame we bought for our scan photo.  xx
I find it comforting after losing my 3yr old i sleep with her pillow and blaket and i kept a few things from the hospital...
    But it's all about how u feel about keeping things around.
i think whatever reminds u of them although it can bring back memories when u see it, i got a tattoo on my side in 09  for my son . i thought it was something nice that nobody could take away if that makes sense . good luck
I think that doing whatever it is that gives you comfort is okay.  I personally keep small mementos of past loved ones on my night table, so that I can feel and recall their love before I go to sleep.  I find this comforting.

I like the idea of having a memento as I am sentimental.I have seen some nice sites which have beautiful cremation urns. Primaurns.com was lovely.
i had m/c at 11 weeks in march 2012 and kept the scan pic and all photos of tests etc together in a foldrer which also contains a letter which i wrote to my unborn baby saying all the things i never got the chance to.

debbie
my mom just passed june 5th 2012, yes i keep lots of her things to be close to her but most i keep her in my Heart where she will always be.
I too lost my baby at 20 weeks gestations i delivered my son and everything the hospital took pics and gave me a box with stuff in in and i keep in on my dresser i think it helped me out and gives me a physical thing to see as i never seen him.