Grief & Loss Community
both parents gone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

both parents gone

Last October my Mum 77 died from pnuemonia (pneumonia),she had dementia but seemed to know what was happening in those last hours.I need to know if she would have understood me talking to her and telling her I loved her in those last hours before she closed her eyes for the last time,I'm glad I got to be with her cause I think she was scared.Six weeks later my Dad 81 died suddenly from a strangulated hernia and heart attack.The day before he had got a lovely new car and had his cataracts done and was looking forward to going fishing again.When I got to the hospital he was close to death so I don't know if he knew I was there and if he heard me say how much I loved him.The doctors told me they couldn't save him so we sat by his bed and just waited for him to pass on.I didn't get to say goodbye,do you think he would have known I was there?
I loved them both so much
Tags: parents
yes yes they knew , they say they can here you talk to them, they could feel your love around them. please dont feel bad, you did all you could do and showed them both love.
Yes, they hear what you are saying.  You're so fortunate to have had those last moments with your parents, they heard your words and felt your presence.  They left in peace.  Take care.....
Many of us don't have the honor of being by our loved ones bedside when they pass.....
So count it as a blessing.  Plus both your parents lived a long and I am thinking happy life together.  I believe as everyone else here has said that our parents know  we are there and what we say.  Even if words are not used.  Our feelings have energy to reach them.

I am sorry for your loss.  We know death is inevitable for parents, but it is always hard.  We are no longer anyone's child.  That is what hit me, when both of my parents died.  I was top of the earthly heap now.  BTW: I wasn't at either of my parent's bedside when they died, so really do count your blessings that you were with them.

I wish I could have held my son as he died in March.  But know it is not really important in long run.  Just sentimental emotions.  Whenever loved one leaves we grieve and then let go knowing they are on the next leg of their journey.       Blessings.
Thankyou for your kind words.Oh yes I feel very blessed to have been with my Mum at the end.I sang to her all night the night before in the hospital then she passed peacefully the next afternoon.My Dad wasn't going to come but I just kept calling begging him to come cause I knew in my heart Mum was waiting for him and sure enough an hour or so later she went.It was a beautiful incredibly sad time but such an honour to be there.They were married 59 years,such an inspiration to me.Six weeks later when Dad died suddenly it was a big shock specially when he was so excited about his new car and going fishing again.But now I know from yours and others replies they new I was there and felt my love, it just seems right now.
God bless and thanks