Grief & Loss Community
worried father to be..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

worried father to be..

My boyfriend and I just found out we are expecting. I was very excited, so was he but then he seemed bothered, and worried. I talk about our Babys growth and hes different.
I finally asked what was wrong..
He lost his father when he was 10.. He's nervous that he won't make a great father because he didn't have that role model to follow.. How can I assure him he will be greatwith his child..?
Let him know that his fatherly instincts will kick in once he holds the baby and his desire to love, protect and be a good father will be his focus.  There are many books to help him, he can talk to other fathers that he feels are good and get advice from them.  There is so much information on the internet to guide him, and the baby's pediatrician can also help.  I think the fact that he grew up without a father would drive him to be the best and always be there for his child.  Just the fact that he is concerned is wonderful and a great start!  Congratulations and best wishes.