Eating and Drinking During Labor
My oh my! I have neglected my poor little forum here and I'm so sorry! Life happens and it happened to me, ha ha.

Anyway I just came across this awesome list of things to eat and drink in labor and wanted to share:
http://wellroundedbirthprep.blogspot.com/2011/04/good-labor-snacks-and-why-moms-need.html

What would be your go-to snack or drink while in labor?
I am actually reading this book right now! "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth"

The last 2 times I was in labor, I had lots of water and re-charge (like gatorade, but natural with no artificial ingredients or anything)
I also kept eating energy bars like Luna Bars, or granola bars. That's about all I wanted during labor, but afterwards, I wanted a nice big sandwich!!! lol Eating and drinking during labor is very important and it's sad that most OB's won't allow it. I'm sorry, but water or ice chips or an IV is NOT enough to keep your energy up! Labor is....well labor intensive and you need to fuel your body. :)
I usually don't eat during labor but I am literally ready to eat when pushing, which I think motivates me somehow. The reason I don't eat is because I am usually getting sick to my stomach.  My body is clearing out to make room I think:)  I am so glad to have stumbled upon this side of the forum.  I couldn't agree more with the purpose of the group :D

I do suck on ice, and drink gatorade to keep my potassium up.  Sometimes I try to eat applesauce too or something light like this, but my body just always seems to shut down on food during labor.  Immediately afterwards though I am ready to raid the refrigerator, it's intense!
What I have heard from midwives is that a woman typically only wants to eat in the early throes of labor. Once you are unable to keep food down or have no desire to eat you're most likely in transition.
JoyRenee thanks for posting that I never really recognize when I am in transition which is kind of comical because it should be so obvious lol

Amazing how our body naturally goes in and creates space by emptying our stomach, our bowels, etc.  I definitely want to make sure this time I have an increase of high fiber the week or so before I think I am going to go into labor, that made my first birth so much shorter it seemed.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
ChitChatNine enjoying fall-like weather ! Comment
ClareLG commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Sep 16
ChitChatNine commented on photo
Sep 13