Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
2 skipped periods and 2 negative HPT's

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

2 skipped periods and 2 negative HPT's
I am a 21 year old female. My husband and I have not used protection for the past three years and have not concieved yet. I have now missed 2 periods. I want to be pregnant so I am nervous all the signs are a false pregnancy. I have some nausea, heartburn, insomnia some nights, other nights can't get enough sleep, I eat like crazy, headaches, a lot of light cramping, gassy, and going to the bathroom a lot. I have taken two at home pregnancy test and both said negative, however, the second negative was a very faint line. The other negative was a very bold line. Is it possible my HCG levels are slowly comming up and the HPT can not recognize them yet?
HI!
The best way to tell for sure is to have blood test.  However, the home pregnancy tests these days are sensitive down to a level of 50 ( blood tests go down to 6-10) so, they are pretty darn accurate.  In a normal pregnancy, the hormone level doubles every 48 hours, so the positive line should get darker and darker fairly quickly.

If you haven't used birth control for three years, you are outside the range of "normal" so you should consider getting some testing done.  The tests I like to start with include a TSH, prolactin level, progesterone level, semen analysis, and HSG (hysterosalpingogram).  An OB/gyn doctor could order all of these tests for you and do your regular check up and pap too.  I think now would be a good time to make an appointment!

Good luck!
Dr B