Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
3 weeks after abdominal hysterectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

3 weeks after abdominal hysterectomy
Ok, This is such an embarrassing question and i am afraid to tell my Dr what i have done. I hope you can help me ease my mind. I am as of yesterday 5 weeks post op and  i am going on vacation on Monday, i hope! I am having some pain in my lower right pelvic area somewhat like i had before surgery. This just started yesterday. I had all taken out. But my question is...here goes for all to see.  what could be the consequences of  having had sex after only 3 weeks post-op when you are supposed to wait 6 to 8 weeks? I am scared of what i might have done! and what are the chances of getting a blood infection(sepsis shock)?

I'm not sure what type of procedure you had done.  I'll guess you had a hysterectomy.  The concern would be you may disrupt the suture line at the vaginal cuff which might result in bleeding (internal, in between tissue planes, or vaginally) or infection, along with pain.  

I suggest you see your physician before you go away to make sure all is well.  You'd hate to have issues while away on vacation and need to seek care.  And I know you feel embarrassed but your doctor won't care (people have sex and people do not always follow doctors' instructions, such is life).

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I had an abdominal hysterectomy and the pain is not always there now but could there still be a possibility of infection or internal bleeding? I was also told it could be a strain. I guess what i am really asking is, was having sex at 3 weeks a really dangerous thing to do? And is it possible that it wasnt what was making me hurt but maybe just over doing it, housework and maybe too much on my feet? Today and yesterday i have had no pain at all.
A related discussion, im 3 weeks post-op was started.