Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
44 & never been to GYN, flooding & clotting

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

I am 44yrs old and have never been to see a gynecologist. I am having a period where i flooded (soaking through a super tampon every 10-30 minutes) for 8hrs. solid. I also passed many large clots, some the size of a halved egg. Do i need to get myself checked out or might it simply be due to my age and the fact that i recently lost 50 pounds? I am PETRIFIED of going...
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that it is pretty important that come in to get checked.  I don't want to scare you, but the type of bleeding you are describing could be caused by cancer.  MOST of the time it is NOT cancer, and some pills can really help to slow the bleeding down before you end up needing a blood transfusion.
It will be very important for you to tell your doctor that you are scared, they can explain everything to you and maybe even leave out some parts ot the exam if you are too nervous.
Go in!  We are usually pretty nice people!
Good luck!
Dr B
There is no way that i could be pregnant (unless there really IS such a thing as immaculate conception, LOL). I have flooding again today (2 days later) although its not quite as severe. I also had a 2 week long period only a couple of weeks ago as well as spotting in between these two cycles.
I also wanted to ask what your experience is with the morbidly obese. Although i've lost 50+ pounds recently, i am still 295 pounds and am asfraid that the doctor will be either disgusted by me or unable to examin me due to my size.
Thank you very much for answering me. I am going to follow through and ask my PDOC for a referral to see a GYN.