Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
44 & never been to GYN, flooding & clotting
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

44 & never been to GYN, flooding & clotting

I am 44yrs old and have never been to see a gynecologist. I am having a period where i flooded (soaking through a super tampon every 10-30 minutes) for 8hrs. solid. I also passed many large clots, some the size of a halved egg. Do i need to get myself checked out or might it simply be due to my age and the fact that i recently lost 50 pounds? I am PETRIFIED of going...
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that it is pretty important that come in to get checked.  I don't want to scare you, but the type of bleeding you are describing could be caused by cancer.  MOST of the time it is NOT cancer, and some pills can really help to slow the bleeding down before you end up needing a blood transfusion.
It will be very important for you to tell your doctor that you are scared, they can explain everything to you and maybe even leave out some parts ot the exam if you are too nervous.
Go in!  We are usually pretty nice people!
Good luck!
Dr B
4 Comments
Blank
3198373_tn?1348247191
There is no way that i could be pregnant (unless there really IS such a thing as immaculate conception, LOL). I have flooding again today (2 days later) although its not quite as severe. I also had a 2 week long period only a couple of weeks ago as well as spotting in between these two cycles.
Blank
3198373_tn?1348247191
I also wanted to ask what your experience is with the morbidly obese. Although i've lost 50+ pounds recently, i am still 295 pounds and am asfraid that the doctor will be either disgusted by me or unable to examin me due to my size.
Blank
3198373_tn?1348247191
Thank you very much for answering me. I am going to follow through and ask my PDOC for a referral to see a GYN.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now