Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Ablation/Novasure, Essure, AND age 47 -pregnancy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Hello, Dr. -

After searching the archives, I saw a response on 5/21 about a similar question and you stated that pregnancy would be very rare in someone who had both an ablation and had the Essure procedure done.   I wondered how much of a variable age also plays in it? I have had both procedures, and am 47 years old and very traumatized right now about a possible pregnancy. It's too early to take a test yet (I believe even a blood test), but wondered if you could share some statistics with me about these three variables and my odds of being pregnant?  I thought I might have been past the odds of getting pregnant even without the Essure given my age.

Also, say the Essure failed.............since I have had the ablation would the pregnancy not 'take', or would I still be pregnant even with the ablation and possibly lose the pregnancy?   I'm not sure how the ablation part of it fits in with the chances of pregnancy (is it reduced because the ablation prevents the pregnancy from 'taking' or is there some other reason why chances are less with an ablation).

Thank you for your help!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that pregnancy beyond 45 is very rare, and the miscarriage rate is very high.  If you have had the Essure procedure, presumably you have also had an hsg to be certain that the tubes were occluded.  Altogether your odds of pregnancy approach zero, and even if you did conceive the most likely outcome would be miscarriage.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Dr. Brown, if the unlikely did happen and I did not want to continue the pregnancy, are there special precautions the doctor would need to take if I wanted to terminate the pregnancy?  Would the 'pill' be safe to do or am I looking at surgery?   I know that the odds are in my favor, but I am worrying myself sick.  The only way I can cope is to map out all of the 'what if's so I know the worst case scenario.  Can you clarify this question for me?