Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
About lining of the womb

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

About lining of the womb

I recently went for a scan as i was having irregular and heavy periods, my doctor told me the lining of the womb was really thick and i will have to see the gynacologist. what will ahppen and will i have to have a operation.

There are many possible causes of irregular menstrual bleeding. A woman who presents with this complaint (especially if >35y/o) should be evaluated for a possible pregnancy, hormonal changes (e.g., thyroid hormone excess or deficiency, or increases in Prolactin), endometrial polyps, anovulation (not ovulating) and abnormal tissue growth within the uterus.  

You should know, there is no normal endometrial stripe thickness or thinness for a menstruating woman.  Your evaluation will likely involve a pregnancy test (if not done already), and lab work for the hormones noted above, and an endometrial biopsy to assess for abnormal endometrial tissue (i.e., endometrial overgrowth or cancer) and with those results and underlying cause and further management can be determined.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Hello, I recently saw your answer to a query on lining of the womb. Well, i am a 25 yrd old woman and i suffer from serious period pains. I basically do not look forward to my period as much as i must have it if i am going to have children.

I have always had period pains and heavy pains that make me throw up and feel dizzy. I have recently been on iron tablets over the last 3 months as prescibed by my GP and i was also todl about this primrose supplement tabletts which a friend todl me about.

In the last 3 months however, i notice that my period has gone from 5 days to about 6-7 days. what is most interesting is that my period pain goes on for the whole 6 days as opposed to 2 days or intermittently. I cannot do anything in those days and i am bed bound.

I have had ultrasound scans in the past and recently had another 3days ago, and i have been told that the lining of my womb is thick, but everything else looks fine. I had a polyp taken out 2yrs ago but they say they don't see naything again..

What do you think? I'm sure my case is not peculiar but i know the period shuld not obstruct my daily activities
A related discussion, ive been bleeding for 4 months heavy was started.
A related discussion, light vaginal bleeding was started.