Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Am I facing surgery?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Am I facing surgery?
I'm 19 years old with abdominal and back pain (managable). Routine office visit suggested an Ultrasound wich identified a 1.0 x 1.5 cm septated complex cyst in right ovary. I am new to birthcontrol pills (one year) and having a difficult time with break though.  Now on a different prescription but still having same problem.  I have had two bladder infections in the past year.

Is this a watch and see situation or am I facing surgery?  And if so, do they remove the ovary?  

With respect to UTI's, I used to get a few all the time, then one Dr suggested to me, that after sex, you go to the toilet to pass some urine.  That will flush out anything that may have gotten into the urether during sex - such as semen, cells, creams etc.  I now have got into that habit and have not had a UTI for over 15 years
hi. as far as i know, the birth control should help with your cysts. I'm not a doctor, but i'm a very "cyctic" girl, lol. I've had 2 ovarian cysts removed from the same ovary (both were about 5cm in diameter). I had extreme cysts removed. a friend of mine gets little ovarian cysts, about hte size you're describing. She says they go away on their own. She's never had surgery to have them removed. They may just go away with you're birth control. Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.
i would do the birth control first. I had a 10cm cyst last nov 2005 and now it us 1-2cm it has almost gone away.  I would definity go that route first and see what happens
Because of your age (being so young) I would definitely try the birthcontrol pills first and then if the doctor tells you it is growing even on the birth control pills and you need surgery get a second opinion before having any surgery.

Make sure you do your research and know what questions to ask.  This is your body the doctor works for you and you have every right to ask questions and get a second opinion.

Good luck.