Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Bacterial Vaginosis: Help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Bacterial Vaginosis: Help.

Hello. My name is Mickey. I am 19 years old and sexually active with my boyfriend. I have been on birth control for 5 years now and smoke cigarettes regularly. I have been diagnosed with BV. For three months, I have tried everything. I have visited my doctor and was prescribed the vaginal cream. No luck. Then, asked for the disgusting oral antibiotic (1 each day for one week.) I did this for two weeks and thought it worked. My boyfriend and I waited a week to have intercourse and realized it did not subside. Since that did not work, I tried home remedies after researching online that it was the only way to get rid of it.

These are some of the remedies I have tried:

- Yogurt. I have added yogurt to my diet. I have also used an applicator to inject yogurt into my vagina and even dipped a tampon in yogurt and inserted that. It eliminated the awful odor.

- Cranberry Juice (Not cocktail.) I have drank maybe two gallons in the last month.

- Rephresh Pro-B. I have started taking this probiotic two weeks ago.

- Pearl IC. Another probiotic I started taking a week ago.

- Summer's Eve (pH balance.) Switched my body wash. No more irritation.

- Folic Acid supplements (400 mg.) I take for each day.

This month, my period blood has been clotting more than usual. My BV is normally at its worse after my period each month.

What else can I do to get rid of it and KEEP it away?
Hi!
A couple of thoughts for you --
Chronic or recurrent BV can be a real nuisance!

One option is for your partner to take the antibiotic too (Metronidazole)
Typically, the partner is NOT treated, but I sometimes do for my patients who are struggling with chronic problems.

Another option would be to use the probiotics vaginally --
It is possible to insert a gelatin capsule into the vagina at bedtime and allow it to dissolve over night.  Some of my patients have done this for a week with some success.
Probiotics contain "good bacteria" that fight off the odor causing ones.

A yogurt douche would have the same effect -- be sure to use "live culture" yogurt.

Finally, there is another antibiotic -- Clindamycin -- which might work, and is not as disgusting as Metronidazole.

Of course you should also stop smoking!

Good luck!
Dr B