Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Big lump on vagina

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Big lump on vagina

I noticed today that I Hav a big red raw lump the size of a golf ball on the outside of my vagina it's not very sore but more uncomfortable wen sitting I don't know what it could be and am worried could u please help
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would suspect that you might have an inflamed Bartholin's gland.  This is a relatively common problem.  There is a gland on each side of the vagina, and sometimes the opening becomes clogged. When this happens the gland tends to swell and can become quite large.
Sometimes the swelling will go away on its own, but the majority of times it is necessary to lance open the gland so that it can drain.  A new opening is created so that the gland doesn't swell shut all over again.
This procedure can usually be done in the doctor's office with local anesthesia.
Hope this helps!
Dr B