Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Birth Control

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Birth Control

Hi, I'm looking into birth control options and am really confused.  I've been on several estrogen options before and have had horrible luck.  I'm now looking into just progestin options.  I think I'd have issues remembering the pill if I were to do that, so I've narrowed it down to between the Mirena IUD the Depo Provera shot.

I have never had children and have a retroverted uterus which makes me concerned about the IUD, but I also am concerned that I can't get rid of any side effects of the shot for the months that I'm on it.  I am about to go to visit my long-distance boyfriend in the middle of December for a month over holidays and am concerned about the side effects of either being in pain or bleeding the entire time I'm visiting him.  Do you have any advice? Thanks so much.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that your best option might be to try the mini pill for a month or three weeks to see how it affects you.  That way if you find that you are having untolerable side effects, you can simply stop the medication.  If you get the shot, you are stuck with it for three months.  If you get the IUD, the cost is such that it would be undesirable to use it for only a few weeks.  IF you were to try the IUD you might be a candidate for the Skyla which is super for women who haven't had babies and is small so that it more easily inserted--ultrasound guidance could be used if it is a difficult insertion.
Hope some of this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B