Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Black discharge and bright red blood...10 days before period is due

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Hello, I am 19yo female. I am in need of some help. As iv been to the ER and gynecologist and nobody will listen to me. I have bad BV(Bacterial Vaginosis) for almost 2 years now, been treated it comes back so I take probiotics and folic acid to help it on my own. I am currently ttc with my husband. I have a daughter shes 2. Other than the bv I have never had any problems. I am due for my period on the 13th which would mean I would have started this bleeding 10 days before my period is due. I am very regular. I started having dark dark brown/black discharge and a little bit of bright red blood mixed in with it. It is only enough to fill maybe a half tampon in 5-6 hours. This started 2 days ago. I am very concerned. I read that it can be a uterine infection and sometimes can be life threatening. I was due for a gyno appointment on friday but they told me today I cannot come in if im bleeding. So im stuck at the hospital situation again. I dont know what to do. Or what this could be. Any advice would be so so great. Thanks so much!
HI!
If you were my patient, I would definitely reassure you that you don't have a life threatening infection.  The dark discharge is only old blood that is being discharged slowly.  I would also advise you to do a pregnancy test, just to rule out that that is what is up.  IF that is positive, call your doctor right away for a possible ultrasound.
If the test is negative, I would probably just watch and wait to see what the next cycle will bring--hopefully you will go right back to normal.
Good luck!
Dr B