Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Bleeding Help

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Bleeding Help

HI. I am 35 and had my 2nd Depo-Provera shot in mid-July. In the last 4.5 months, I have been bleeding all but maybe 3 weeks...and those 21 days have been spread out a day here... a day there. I called my OBGYN today and they recommended 800mg of Motrin, 3 times a day for 5 days.  Does this make sense?  I am not planning to continue with the Depo, but using Motrin (a blood thinner, no?) and in that amount seems like it could lead to worse.

A brief medical history:  I am anemic naturally.  I have diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease and currently take 150mg of Synthroid.  I have three children, 3 c-sections.  After my 2nd child I had Post Partum Unterin Atony and  Gestational thrombocytopenia.  I hemmoraged (sic) after his birth and was given 2 blood transfusions before I finally started clotting and my uterus "woke up" and started to contract 12 hours later.
Hi!
Actually, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications DO reduce uterine bleeding.  The dose is not excessive for a short period of time as long as you take it with food and plenty of fluids.  It does seem contradictory, but your OB is correct, and it is worth a try.  Since you don't want to continue with Depo, I might be inclined to start oral contraceptives to regulate your cycles for you sooner.  (Not sure what you are going to want to use instead of Depo)
Good luck!
Dr B