Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Bleeding after period

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Bleeding after period

I am 34 year old female with regular menustrual (5-6 days). I noticed about a year ago, that after my period was completed there was a brown like discharge when cycle completed.  I raised this when I got my last pap smear, and was advised by the nurse that could be changes in my body or dry blood coming down.  After that, I didn't really notice it any more, and my smear was normal.  Did not notice anything over the past year.  However, my cycle ended about 4 or 5 days ago.  I noticed 2 days ago that after urinating and wiping, there was blood on the tissue (brownish so perhaps not fresh), and then again today after I used the bathroom there was traces of blood.  I am concerned because my period ended several days ago, and I have never experienced any bleeding between my periods once my cycle is complete.  What could be the cause of this? Should I be concerned.  I am not on the pill nor taking any medications and have no medical conditions.
Hi!
One of the most common things that I see that causes intramenstrual bleeding, is polyps. These are (usually) benign growths that occur on the cervix, or within the uterus. Because they are out of sync with the uterine lining, they often bleed at irregular intervals.  Also, hormonal fluctuations can sometimes be the culprit. If you came in to see me, I would do an exam with pap (abnormal cells on the cervix can cause bleeding) I would check for infection (another cause) and I would suggest an ultrasound--possibly a saline ultrasound depending upon the findings.  I would also rule out pregnancy--I ALWAYS do that! If everything looked OK on the exam and test results, I would suggest a wait and see.  If it happens again, I would consider treating you with 14 days of progesterone to clean out the uterine lining.  Then if that failed, possibly a D&C hysteroscopy to take a look inside, or even laparoscopy depending upon symptoms.
Kelli77 has a fairly UNusual condition, so I doubt that is what you have, but endometriosis can cause spotting too.
Hope this is helpful!
Dr B
Hi mlan,
I am 31 and I have been having the same issue.  I went to the doctor for a regular pap and I mentioned this to him.  He found that I have a horned uterus (actually we found that I also have 2 uteruses (or uteri), 2 cervix and a vaginal septum), but it was this horn that was retaining blood, the endometrium or lining of the uterus was thick and the thickness was especially causing a problem in the neck of that horn (making it too thick to allow the blood to flow out all at one time) so it would gradually leak out after my period, thus the older brownish blood.  He put me on birth control pills to thin the endometrium.  I'm not saying this is what is going on with you, just saying that there is a possibility that there is something going on that your doctor may not be aware of.  I had two pregnancies with two c-sections and my condition went unnoticed during these. It wasn't until I told him that I was suspicious of having 2 cervix (due to something a previous doctor had told me) that he took a closer look and found out that indeed I did have 2 cervix and 2 uteri and essentially 2 vaginas.  My advise, if you don't feel comfortable with what they're telling you, keep questioning them or ask another doctor to take a look at you.
A related discussion, Bleeding After Period was started.
I'm a 27 overweigh female whose been going thought the same as it posted.  I had my period for 4 days and was sick for about a week after my period was finish I wasn't sick but the kick of it was that I started spotting for about 2 days after my period finish.  I am scare especilly the fact that I don't think I can have children.  I haven't had sex since nov of last year and I been having pains like cramps and lower back pains.  I am scare I change my diet and starting a new workout plan I not having sex and I be with the same man for 2 yrs I don't have an std I check and I did a pregrancy test two weeks ago before my period came.  But my question is why am I spotting is it because my weigh or am I just going through a change and shouldn't be scare? If anyone can help me with this problem please because I'm not a doctor person lol
Sorry for the suckie grammer hope someone understands what I am talking about lol?
A related discussion, possible pregnancy, clove oil and bleeding was started.
Hi I'm 19 years old and Im experiencing for the first time bleeding in between my period !!! I'm kinda scared about this I never ha his happento me before the story is as follows! My period was supposedly over I went a week with out spotting or anything it was done I was also sexually active. Withthin this time. A week later (now) I went to the bathroom and as i looked down to flush the toilet i noticed there was brownish stuff and on the paper I used to wipe ! Looked like aftermath if a regular period which I always have had but not a week after I think my period is Over??? Later on the day i started bleeding like a normal period all over again!  I duched and I thought I was cleaning it all out but I was wrong ... Sense I started bleeding again! During the week when I was sexually active I did take a plan b pill after having unprotected sex ! Could this be the cause of the bleeding but I wouldn't understand why that would be because that wouldn't be the first time me taking one of those pills could it be a miscarrage (miscarriage)??? I'm very concerned about this I'm kinda afraid as well I don't have insurance to check up with a doctor and I don't have the money to check for this either I'm hoping this will be the last time something like this happens ! :(
A related discussion, Bleedin After Period was started.
A related discussion, Abnormal Bleeding was started.