Brown Vaginal Discharge
Greetings,

I have a problem I am dealing with, and it would be great if you guys could provide me with some more insight and help.

My girlfriend is 21 years old. Currently she is experiencing brown vaginal discharges of the dark and musky type. Her last period was 3 weeks ago. The discharges have been going on for 5 days as of this post. She experiences no pain or irritation of any kinds, and her discharge does not give off any foul odor, except for a slight musky scent. We last had sexual intercourse around 4 days ago, with protection as always. She is worried about the ongoing discharges, as it had never happened to her before, and since 5 days has passed and the occurrences have not stopped. Do you think this is normal? Is it a sign for some underlying problems? We are going to do a pregnancy test, but in the mean time, I would like to just post this question up here for any expert to see and would like to contribute.

Also of note is that my girlfriend apparently has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and thus is constantly on pregnancy pills, and has been taking them for a year. I don't know if this has anything to do with the unusual discharges, but definitely you guys would have a better idea.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. I look forward to your replies and advice.

Hi!
If your girlfrined were my patient, I would advise you/her that the discharge is probably old blood that is being slowly discharged.  Probably from a slow, prolonged very light menstrual period. Once this cycle passes,s your normal cycles may resume.  IF not, you may want to talk to your doctor about some hormone testing.
Good luck!
Dr B                                                                                        
Thank you very much for your reply, Dr Brown. This greatly helped us put our minds at ease.

However, today at her job, my girlfriend said she experienced the discharge again, and according to her, it "smelled bad". I wasn't there to confirm whether it really did smell or not, or if her worried mind was just making it up for her. Either ways, in your experience, does the discharge ever extend for more than 6 days like this? And could the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, along with her taking the pregnancy pills regularly, possibly have anything to do with this?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration, Dr Brown.