Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Brown vaginal spotting with tissue passed

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

My most recent period was late by a week.  I started and it was very light bleeding for a week (which is not normal for me, I have really heavy periods).  Now it's been three weeks since the start of my period, and I'm still spotting.  Enough that I can get by with wearing a panty liner.  It is very brown (looks like old blood) and I'm passing a ton of tissue.

Any ideas what's going on?
Hi!
Two possibilities come to mind.  Of course, there's the question: are you pregnant? Could you be pregnant and having a miscarriage.  For my own patient, I would certainly recommend a pregnancy test.

If it is not pregnancy--then you are probably having an anovulatory cycle. (no ovulation this month) Depending upon how long the heavy bleeding and-or irregular bleeding has been going on, I might want to do a biopsy of the uterine lining looking for polyps and other pathology.  I would probably also recommend some progesterone for 10-14 days to cause everything that has built up in there to slough off.

Hope this helps!

Dr B
i had a hysterectomy a month ago i got cut under my belly.ok a month later i am feeling pain on my belly and a foul smell where i got cut the pain feels like a bad pinching pain and everyday after i shower i get that bad smell where i got cut any advice on whats going on asap thanks.i also noticed a red blister like mark where i got cut? thanks again
A related discussion, BV was started.