Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Bulky Uterus

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Bulky Uterus

Hello Doctor,

I have delivered a male baby 25 months back (DOB of my baby is 19th May, 2007) through C-section. My abdomen is bigger than normal. I had DNC on 07th of March, 2009 since my husband and me didn't wanna a second baby so soon. I got my period on 08th of April, 2009 which lasted for 5 days as usual and again i got my period the same month on 29th of April, 2009, which again lasted for 5 days and i had spotting of of blood along with my white discharge which was very minimal like a drop or two for 10 to 12 days after my periods and i didn't get my periods in May the whole month. Again i got my periods on 8th of June and experienced abnormal bleeding when contacted a gynaecologist she advised me to go for pregnancy test, blood test and a USG OF PELVIS. Pregenancy test proved to be negative and blood test was Normal. The below given are the complete description of the report of USG OF PELVIS:

Real time ultrasonography of pelvis has been performed with convex probe.

The urinary bladder is well distended and appear normal.

The Uterus is bulky.
The uterus measures 9.6*4.8*3.7 cm in size.
The endometrical echo is thin and linear-measures 5.9 mm.

Both ovaries are normal in size and echotexture.
The right ovary measures 3.4*2.3*1.9 cm: Vol 7.4cc.
The left ovary measures 2.7*2.6*1.1cm: Vol 3.9cc.

There is no evidence of any solid or cystic lesion seen in both adnexal regions.

There is no evidence of any free fluid in the Pelvis.

Conclusion:

Bulky Uterus.

Please go through the above report of my USG OF THE PELVIS and let me know if there is anything scary or dangerous to be worried about. I am worried about the conclusion of the report which states BULKY UTERUS.

I am looking forward to hear from you as soon as possible doctor for i am so worried and this very thought of something abnormal about my report is hunting me.

Thanks.
Hi!
There is no need to be concerned.  We very often see a bulky uterus on ultrasound.  Yours is not even very large compared with normal.  Normal = 8 cm.  Your uterus = 9 cm.  This can be evidence of fibroids, adenomyosis, or simply a "parous" uterus.  (Meaning that you have been pregnant before).  I'm not sure why your periods are abnormal--that is most likely hormonal in nature, or possibly a low grade infection.  But there is no evidence of cancer, or of anything that is going to require major surgery.
I hope this is helpful!
Dr B
Thanks alot for your feedback Doctor.  I am much relieved now.
A related discussion, trying to conceive was started.
A related discussion, polycystic cervix was started.
A related discussion, Bulky Uterus was started.