Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Calcification in uterus

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Calcification in uterus

I dont know if anyone has ever heard of this but when i got the results back to other day from my US my gyn said that i had a calcification in my utereus and not to worry they would ck it again in one month.  Not happy with her answer I had another gyno read it and he also said he saw nothing abnormal and that a calcification is like scar tissue or could have been a dried up fibroid.  How can they tell whats a bad growth and one that is benign if they dont take these things out.  I am just afraid it some cancer that they are missing.  Any suggestions or if anyone else had ever had one of these things please advise??? Is this something I should be concered about I am only 27 years old.  
Dear Princess Kell,

I agree with the doctors who have advised you. Calcification in the uterus or ovaries is not a sign of cancer. In fact it is usually as reassuring, benign finding (seen in fibroids, old placental sites after pregnancy, benign dermoid cysts of the ovaries

These are the important points about gynecologic cancers:

cervical cancer: detected on pap smears, diagnosed by biopsies of the cervix

Endometrial cancer: abnormal bleeding is the leading symptom, diagnosed by biopsies of the lining of the uterus (also called a D&C - dilation and curettage)

Ovarian cancer: sadly, we have no screening test for ovarian cancer. The present strategy is to assess for risk factors such as family history, infertility, other cancers such as breast and colon cancer, endometriosis, and genetic mutations. For women at high risk for ovarian cancer, the current recommendation is to prophylactically remove the ovaries before they become cancerous.

best wishes
A related discussion, Calcification of Uterus Pain was started.
A related discussion, abdominal pain was started.
A related discussion, uterine calcifications with bleeding was started.
A related discussion, CALCIFICATION IN THE UTERUS was started.