Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Complex Cystic lesion right ovary

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Complex Cystic lesion right ovary

1st ultrasound 1/4/07 because of cyst-Right ovary.  ovary measured 2.9 x 2.1 x 2.4 cm, diagnosed complex follicular-type cyst measuring 1.4 x 1.4 x 1.3. recommended follow up ultrasound.   Also noted left ovary 2.3 x 1.7 x 2.3cm.
2nd ultrasound 3/12/07, ovary now measure 3.2 x 2.1 x 2 cm, with cyst measuring 1.7 x 1.4 x 1.8.  Report says "It actually appears somewhat different today with periphery being hyperechoic.  noted left ovary measure 3.2 x 2.1 x 1.6.
They are requesting to do a laporoscopy with possible removal because of the increase in the ovary as well as the cyst.  I am a 40 year old women who had a hysterectomy 16 years ago.Mother had ovarian cancer, can't get exacty history, no contact.  Should I be worried or do I have an over zealous Dr.?  What does "Periphery being hyperechoic" mean, and is the growth in 60 days alarming?   Originally went to doctor for changes I was having.  Hair growth, tired, painful ovulation, heavy feeling in my pelvic area.  Also, unexplained weight gain.  Thanks for any info you might have.
get it done last week! with your history & symtoms (symptoms) you might be too late!

I have ovaian cancer returned with brain tumors, won't be here long Good Luck

The Hair growth, tierd, painful ovulation and heavy feeling in your pelvic area may be signs of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). here's a web site that can give you all of the information on it.
http://www.4woman.gov/faq/pcos.htm#5
This is just a suggestion, you can visit the ovarian cancer forum also on medhelp. There are many ladies who have been in your "shoes" and they are very supportive and understanding. Just take a look, they may bee able to lend you a "shoulder" in your time of need.
Well, I'll try to be a little more optimistic than JoA.....!  you have some symptoms that do indeed mimic ovarian cancer symptoms, although several other gyne problems can and do, cause the same issues. I don't feel, with your family history, that your gyne is being too over zealous. My only thought would be to see a gyne/onc, instead of a regular gyne, simply because they have about 4 more years of training and will be more prepared during surgery, should things not go in a good direction. That much growth in 60 days is cause for concern, and at least it sounds like your gyne is being cautious, which is good. You may want to ask for (if you haven't already) a CA125 blood test. While this test certainly isn't used for diagnosing ovarian cancer, it can be a good indicator of other issues you may have going on. An elevated number will at least give your gyne an idea of what direction he should be looking in...
Please come post on the ovarian cancer forum...there are so many women who have walked in your shoes who can offer much better advice than I can.
Take care,
Becky
A few comments if I might. The cyst is small, firstly but growing. I don't believe that is fast growth rate though. Hyperechoic just means that the ultrasound waves are bouncing off something - could just be debris or blood. A hemmorhagic cyst (blood-filled follicule, usually a corpus luteal cyst) is possible and sometimes grow. Your ovary is growing probably because the cyst is growing. If the cyst isn't on a stalk attached to the ovary and thus separate from it, the cyst will expand the ovary.

Given your family history though, I would opt for the surgery. It's not a tough surgery and in my opinion, the likelihood of this being OVCA is pretty slim.

Jo A, there is a way to deliver information and I would ask you to please put the hammer down. It's not fair to others to frighten them. Fear sometimes causes people to retreat which is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.
Just a FYI......I don't want to alarm you, but I had my uterus removed in 2004 and my ovaries removed in September 2005 and March 2006. However at the time I thought it was the best thing that I could of done. I was in the same pain as you.....you would of thought I had a pumpkin growing in my pelvic area. However in September 2006 while having a routine CT scan for recurring ulcers they found a cyst on my ovaries.......What.....that can't be I had them removed. Guess what.....they left fragments (referred to as Ovarian Remnant syndrome). In November 2006 I had a five hour surgery to remove the remnant of ovary left along with the 7cm cyst. It is now April 2007, and guess what the pain has returned (another pumpkin is growing) and yes I have another cyst on my "ovary"........ovarian remnant. My last surgery was done by a GYN/oncologist, but another micro fragment was left and now it is back to the operating room to remove this fragment along with the cyst.
To get to my point......If I knew then what I know now about Ovarian remnant syndrome I would never of had my ovaries taken out unless there was cancer. This six month operating plan that I seem to be on is killing me.
My advice is to get all the information that you can get before going to surgery to have your ovaries removed.
Goodluck on what ever decision you make.
I recently had an ultrasound that reported: "Two complex cystic areas noted in the left ovary. The left ovary measures about 2.5cm c 2.5cm x 2.5 cm. The more superior focus measures about 2.8 cm in the greates diameter and is predominantly cystic, with what appears to be a solid area that almost appears to be a fluid-filled level. The more inferior focus measures about 1.9cm in greatest diameter with similar solid appearing area. The right ovary measures 3cm x 2.5 cm x3cm with several small cystic areas, one of which has a solid area that may represent a fluid-filled level. These cysts may represent hemorrhagic cysts. Other possibilities, such as endometrioma, are also entertained."
This is the first time I have ever had a problem, and if any of you can give some thoughts, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
A related discussion, SHOULD I BE WORRIED was started.
A related discussion, Complex right ovarian lesion was started.
A related discussion, cystic lesion was started.
A related discussion, Cystic lesion?? was started.