Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Copper Iud Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Copper Iud Problems

I had my Copper Iud inserted last month on the 11th. I started my period early last month alittle after insertion, which lasted about 7 days. I have been having on and off cramping with out blood and very bad cramping on one side of my abdomen. I had bad back pains a few weeks ago and down my legs( like i was going to start my period) and now I have a dull pain that comes and goes with light light spotting (light brown) kind of mucusy but at a certain time of day. when i go to sleep it goes away. but like clock work it happens around the same time. I went to the er yesterday and they said the strings are still there. is anyone experiencing these symptoms?
Hi!
Get a transvaginal ultrasound to check to see that the IUD is in the proper location.  If it is, and you are otherwise happy with it, then give it a  few more weeks to settle down.  If it is not in proper position, or you don't like it anyway, it will need to be removed.
Copper IUDs commonly cause increased cramping and bleeding.  Your pain on one side is what bothers me--could be perforated through the uterus on that side.

Good luck!
Dr B