Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Cramps after Hysterectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Cramps after Hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I still have my ovaries. Every month at the time of my period I have menstral like cramps. Pain on both sides of the pelvic area. Is this normal? Does that symptom ever go away? The cramping is annoying and at times it can be painful, but now the pain is more localized to the right side.
Hi!
The cramping is most likely caused by the bowel at this point, since your uterus was removed.  The bowel is probably responding to the cyclic changes in the hormones that the ovaries produce.  For example, for about 1/2 of the cycle (after ovulation) the ovaries are producing progesterone which causes the bowels to slow down significantly and can often lead to gassines and constipation.  When the ovaries stop producing progesterone there can be a fairly abrupt change to normal or even rather loose bowel function. All of these are associated with cramping too.
If this is the cause of your symptoms, it will probably go away when you reach menopause.
It is also possible that there is some scar tissue in the area where the uterus used to be.  This sometimes develops after surgery.  It can wrap around the bowel and cause constrictions which can also cause crampiness.  
Ovarian cysts can also cause this type of pain, but are not likely to be a problem EVERY month.
Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen can be helpful.  If there is constipation, Miralax works nicely for that.
I hope this is helpful!
Good luck!
Dr B