Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Dark brown discharge for 2 months
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dark brown discharge for 2 months

I am sexually active but use condoms and take birth control. My periods last 6-7 days and my second last period ended on a Sunday, and by Wednesday I had noticed I was find dark drown discharge. I waited for it to go away but it lasted until my next period.
My last period ended a week ago and once again I'm finding dark brown discharge 3 days later and it hasn't gone away. This is interfering with my sex life and I'm wondering if it will go away on its own, or if I should go to the doctor and if I do how long will it take to go away.
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If I were your doctor, I would suspect that the brownish discharge is breakthrough bleeding.  I would ask you to take extra birth control pills (for example 2 per day) until the discharge stopped and then you could go back to your regular dose.  This is something you should discuss with your physician so you don't run out of pills, and he/she can determine how many you should take and for how long.  I would probably also do a wet mount to rule out bacterial vaginosis, and testing for STIs if you felt that was indicated.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker