Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Delaying period on a triphasic pill

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Delaying period on a triphasic pill

I am going to be going on vacation in October and of course my period is expected to start right in the middle of the trip.  I am on tri sprintec, which I realize is a triphasic pill so there are different hormones every week.  I know if I skip the sugar pills then start a new pack that I will most likely have break through bleeding.  I have heard that if I were to take up to the 3rd week of pills on the first pack and then start a new pack on the 3rd week of pills this would keep my hormones consistent and would reduce the chance of receiving break through bleeding.  I was just making sure that this was safe to do and if it would really reduce break through bleeding.  
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to try that very thing.  In other words, starting the new pack at week three and working backwards.  If you do that without missing any pills, you should have no increased risk of pregnancy and less risk of breakthrough bleeding.  There is no health risk associated with skipping one cycle of placebos.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you for you help!  So once i work backwards on my pills and I am done with the first week of pills do I stop taking pills for a week after that to allow me to have my period or just start on a new pack?

I have a similar concern. I am getting married in 2 weeks. Last month I called the DR to order more pill packs in attempt to skip my period in order to test it out for the wedding. However, I did not skip a menstrual cycle but rather had  continuous spotting for about 3 weeks. It is now time for me to begin the week of placebos, should I go ahead and take the placebos and forget the 'skiping' plan or should I start the next pack right away again to prevent pregnancy. I am fine with going back to my normal schedule since it was such a mess this past time, my only concern is whether or not my body has had a 'normal' enough dose of contraceptive to prevent pregnancy on a honeymoon in 2 weeks. Please let me know! Thank you :)