Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Dysmenorrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Dysmenorrhea
Every month with my menstruation I get really sick.  Usually it starts with horrible stomach cramps that even if I'm sleep wake me up.  I feel nauseous, I start sweating, I have diarrhea.  When I have an episode my face turns white and I feel like i'll fall to the floor.  Usually I stay in the floor to the bathroom until i feel better because I'll have to use the toilet many times and I'm in so much pain that's hard for me to stand up.  I completely blacked out twice when I was having these episodes.  The worst part usually lasts 30 minutes which sounds short but it's an eternity to me.  After the diarrhea and the vomit stops I still have cramps for maybe 1 or 2 days.  I'm 29 years old and I've having these since I'm 13, I'm so tired of it.  I took oral contraceptives for 2 years and they helped me a lot.  However, since I also take carbamazepine for partial complex seizures, they just discontinued Ovrall and I'm not taking any contraceptive.  I don't know what to do.  I had an episode today and it was really bad.  My gynecologist once said it could be endometriosis but I had a transvaginal ecography and it was normal.
Hi!
Your symptoms do sound like endometriosis, which, by the way, is not ruled out by the ultrasound.  Usually the first line of treatment for dysmenorrhea is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories such as Aleve.  If you are going to use these, do it immediately upon the first hint of a symptom and then continue them round the clock for 3-4 days.  The next step up on the treatment ladder is oral contraceptives.  I'm certain that you would be able to obtain a substitute for Ovral -- such as Ortho Novum 1/50 or many others. Next up would be a GnRH agonist such as Lupron.  These are pricey, but can work wonders.  Finally, laser is a great tool for treating endometriosis, and laparoscopy/laser is commonly used for diagnosis and therapy both.
Hope this helps!
Dr B