Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Endometrial Biopsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Endometrial Biopsy

I am 23 years old. 4’11 & 120 lbs. I have a 3 yr old son. Cancer in my family
GreatGmom- Some GYN cancer but too long ago to diagnose Gmom=breast brother=heart/skin mom=lung

December 7 2007 I had Bilaterial complex cyst removed from my ovaries . both were over 5 cm. Before I had the surgery I had bad pain- as bad as labor contractions.
about a month ago (march) I started having the same kind of pain but not as bad. My obgyn ordered Pelvic US/ results showed cysts were gone..

Results read:
Clinical History: Pelvic pain. History of ovarian cyst removal.
Findings. Sonographic evaluation of the pelvis was performed transabdominally and transvaginally. Trans Vaginal Ultrasound was performed to evaluate the endometrial stripe and to evaluate the ovaries for cyst.
The uterus is normal in size, measuing 8.6x5.0x4.4cm. no discrete uterine mass is identified. The endometrial stripe complex is thickened, measuring 1.3cm. This may be normal depending on the stage in the patients mentstral cycle. Ovaries are nomal in size, with the right ovary measuring 2.8 x 2.2 x1.3cm and left ovary measuring  3.9x 2.8x1.9cm. small follicular cyst are seen within both ovaries, the larges on the left measuring 1.1x.8x.7cm. the previously seen large ovarian cyst are no longert seen. There is some free fluid seen within the posterior cul-de-sac, likely physiologic.

Impression:
1. previosuly seen bilaterial ovairan cyst no longer seen
2. Thickened endometrial strip, which may be normal depending on the stage in the patients menstraul cycle
My dr's office called me the other day and asked when my last period was. when i told them - they asked me if i could come in for an endometrial biopsy. Apt is 05/5
Please tell me what the likeiness of this being something.. Is cancer a possibility?
also the endometrial biopsy will be done in the drs office. What should i expect? Pain? bleeding?
I also ?ed the nurse about the pain. she said the endometrial thickening wouldn't cause pain.could it be som

If you haven't had a period in a while, despite your age and the low likelihood of endometrial cancer, your gyn may want to check for tissue overgrowth or polypoid tissue inside your uterus.  I don't know all of your history but it's very reasonable.  

An endometrial biopsy takes about 10 seconds to perform; it can be painful (like a severe menstrual cramp) and you'll likely spot for a day or two.  To help with the pain take 600-800 of Motrin (with food) 30-45 minutes prior to your visit.

I'm not sure the underlying cause of the pain you felt.  It may have been related to ovulation, or pre-menstrual/menstrual symptoms.  

The last thing I'd mention is the ultrasound description of your ovaries is suggestive of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  This is a syndrome notable for hyperandrogenism, infrequent menstruation and insulin resistance.  I suggest you speak with your physician if you in fact meet criteria for this diagnosis.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Hello- thanks for the feedback. The thing is I have had my periods. I had my test on 04/10 and my period before was 03/26. I don't normally have irregular periods. I will speak with my dr about this.
I thank you