Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Extended period after first time having sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

I'm 23. August 24th I had sex for the first time. I started bleeding about 30 minutes afterwards. It wasn't heavy and I didn't think much of it. I was still bleeding a couple of days later so I went to the clinic and at their suggestion took the Plan B pill. I have been taking birth control (Loestrin 24 Fe) since the end of July. It's been nearly two weeks and the bleeding has not stopped and shows no sign of stopping. I haven't stopped taking my birth control pills, and have been taking them regularly and on time. This is the second time I've started on this same birth control, but last time I was on it, I didn't have any sort of menstruation for three cycles and after that I'd have one-day periods. Off birth control my periods last about 7 days, with very, very light days at the end. I am starting to get worried as well as annoyed by the fact that I am still bleeding. It goes back and forth from being spotting to more like a regular flow. It is never very heavy and I don't have any cramps. I suppose this could be a side effect of the Plan B, but is there anything I can do to make it stop? I've read online that you can take an herbal tincture called Shepherd's Purse (but I can't find it) and have also read that you can take 800mg of ibuprofen every 6-8 hours and it will help end it. A lot of my research, though, has resulted in the suggestions (for posters with extended period questions) to start on birth control, but I am already on birth control and I don't know why it won't stop. Could it possibly be something like a fibroid which wasn't 'active' until I had sex? I think it's more likely to be a side effect of the Plan B. Please help me get some relief!
HI!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to try the Ibuprofen first, as it is true that that can help to alleviate the bleeding.   If we were not successful with that, I would double up on your pills for a few days.  Usually doubling, or sometimes even tripling the dose will stop the bleeding within a few days and the dose can then be reduced back to the normal one pill per day.
You may want to call your doctor to see if this is an option for you.
Good luck!
Dr B