Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Hysterectomy and migraines
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hysterectomy and migraines

I am 42 years old and scheduled for a total hysterectomy due to a borderline papillary serous tumour.  I am a migraine sufferer (one trigger seems to be hormonal).  Will surgical menopause help or hinder the frequency that I get migraines?  

I haven't done much research yet on side effects of having a surgical hysterectomy, so any direction to good reference to good reference material/links would also be appreciated.  

Thank you in advance for your help.
Related Discussions
242596_tn?1192429549
Hello,

If your migraines were in some way related to your menstrual cycle you may find an improvement after removal of your ovaries.  If not, there is no telling if there will be any impact at all.

Regarding your surgery, I suggest you speak with the surgeon who will perform the surgery about what to expect in terms of how it will be performed, length of stay in the hospital, need for post-op pain meds, potential complications, recovery time and how you will be followed thereafter.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
2 Comments
Blank
Upon further research, my upcoming surgery is more accurately referred to as "radical hysterectomy" rather than "total hysterectomy" - just for clarification
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now