Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Inflammation in pap test
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inflammation in pap test

I have pap test every year, always been normal but last time (about 6 months ago) the result was mild inflammation, no infections and no abnormal cell changes. After the pap result the doctor took colposcopia and said that everything was fine and no treatment needed for the inflammation since it was only mild. He didn´t explain what causes the inflammation.
So, I got a bit worried. Any reason to worry? When should I have another pap test? The doctor said that once a year is enough. Is it enough even though there is/was inflammation? A year ago I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. Could that have anything to do with the pap result? Because of the vulvodynia I stopped using anticonceptive pills and since then I´ve used condom with my boyfriend. Before the vulvodynia diagnosis all kind of tests were taken, including all stds, but they were all negative.
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would quite likely make the very same recommendations that your doctor did.  Inflammation is typically caused by bacteria and no treatment is required or recommended if there are no symptoms.  Unless you have CIN 2 or greater, a pap yearly is fine. A repeat pap never hurts, but wouldn't necessarily help either.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker