Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Inflammation pap smear and blood when wiping

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Here is the question:
Last year, when I got my pap smear it was "normal" but showed some inflammation, which my doctor said not to worry about.
However, on Monday I started getting a yeast infection so I used a Monistat suppository.  On Tuesday evening the cream came out and when I wiped there was  a few blood droplets on the toilet paper.  I wiped three more times and the blood became a pale pink color.  I used another suppository that night and never saw blood again since then.  My menstrual cycle had ended on Fri..with a few drops on Sat.
Now I am freaking out that maybe Pap test result was more serious and now I have full blown cervical cancer.
Does it ever happen that when the Monistat cream comes back out if can bring a few drops of blood with it?
Also should I have been more proactive about the inflammation issue?  It has been 12 months since that pap and I didn't have one two years before that.  
Could you please help.
Thank you.
HI!
Almost everyone shows inflammation on their pap smear-this is considered a normal finding.  I'm not really sure why they mention it, in fact!  Yeast can irritate and inflame the cervix, and could have been the cause of the traces of blood that you noticed.  Cervical cancer would be extremely unlikely in view of your past normal pap.  If you are concerned though, it never hurts to have an exam, and a pap could be done too.
Most likely the insurance would cover it if it has been more than a year since the last one and since you are having some symptoms.  Certainly, if you have any more unusual bleeding, it would be a good idea to check with your doctor.  I think the yeast was the culprit in this instance.
Good luck!
Dr B
I forgot to add about 4 weeks ago, my gyno gave me a pelvic exam (not pap smear) because I was having pain (which she figured out is caused by herpes neuropathy).  She told me my cervix looked fine and didn't bleed when she examined it.  I don't know if this helps.
Thanks again.
I'm 30 years old and gave birth 30 months ago, before I got pregnant I went to my OB because I notice some discharges, It's color light green sometimes and sometimes light brown...I had a pap smear and she said I had inflammation on my cervix, so I take all the medicine she prescribed including the process of proper washing and disinfecting with Lactacyd femenine wash, the itchiness gone for maybe 2 months, then I got Pregnant. During my pregnancy, the itch returns untill now...well, the itchyness is just outside the V but if Im having contact with my husband, I feel itchy inside that makes me feel comfortable sometimes coz he's like scratching inside. please advise me what to do...I still have discharges of color light green, is there something to do with my urine also?