Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Ingrown hair scars

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Ingrown hair scars

Hi there,
I started shaving my vagina area at a young age and I've gotteb ingrown hairs and razor bumps from it. But I didn't care much about it back then, but now at 18 I still have some scars. I don't shave there anymore in fear of getting more razor bumps. But how could I get rid or even fade some of the marks? They're really embarrassing now since I want to wear bikinis and now that I have a boyfriend.

Also, what's better to remove hair there without having to suffer razor bumps or ingrown hairs? I'm african american and I heard ingrown hairs are more common in us, I guess since the hair is thick and curly.Any tips or advise would be great, Thank you!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would refer you to a dermatologist with a good esthetician who could work on the scars with laser.  I would definitely recommend someone with experience with African American patients, too..
It is possible that you have a condition called hidradenitis in which the sweat and oil glands frequently become infected and cause scarring.  Typically the underarms and groin areas are involved.
A dermatologist/esthetician combo is the way to go!
Good luck!
Dr B
If u don't want to shave try brazilian waxing. The is one I like that is very easy to use and is a good price. It's Stripless also. Brand name is surgie I think.(it's been a while)